Short-term job - Santa Clara County Public Health Department - Santa Clara County Latino Health Report of 2012
- [From http://www.sccgov.org/sites/sccphd/en-us/Pages/Latino-Health-Study-Meeting.aspx%5d
Santa Clara County Public Health Department and public health
consultants are pleased to announce a unique opportunity to
participate in data collection for the Santa Clara County Latino
Health Report of 2012.
We are seeking motivated and responsible college students and
community volunteers to help with data collection for a scan of food,
physical activity, and safety environments in eight neighborhoods in
Santa Clara County, with high proportions of Latino residents.
Previous assessments have demonstrated a number of indicators of poor
health that affect Latinos disproportionately, including obesity, poor
nutrition, inadequate physical activity, and injury/violence.
This assessment will provide an in-depth examination of the social and
structural determinants of these health disparities so that service
providers, community organizations, county agencies and policy makers
can support policy development and planning efforts that meet the
needs of the Latino population.
The neighborhood data may also help to empower and mobilize
neighborhood residents to advocate for environmental change.
The assessments will focus on:
• Food outlets, such as grocery stores, corner stores and street food carts
• School food environments
• Billboard marketing of unhealthy foods
• Access to food banks and distribution centers
• Street safety, including access to sidewalks, crosswalks, and
quality of walking and biking environments
Individuals must commit to the following:
• Participating in one half-day training. Morning and afternoon
sessions will be flexible to accommodate schedules. Training will
occur in early May.
• A minimum of 20 hours of data collection. Data collection will occur
in groups. Dates will be flexible, and include weekend opportunities.
Data collection will occur in May and June.
• $15/hour stipends for each hour spent collecting data.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please respond
to Jazmin Betancourt, at Betancourt@....
Provide your full name, telephone number an email address. Please
provide a list of days and times you would be typically available to
participate in the training and data collection, including weekends
and weekdays. Please respond ASAP.