Sierra Club is hiring - Conservation Program Coordinator

  • Megan Fluke
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2012
      Dear friends,

      I'm pleased to announce that the Loma Prieta Chapter is hiring a part-time
      Conservation Program Coordinator. We're hoping for a diverse pool of
      qualified applicants so please forward this to your networks and friends.

      Thank you,

      Megan

      --
      *
      Online Position Description - APPLY

      *

      *Job Title: *Conservation Program Coordinator - Building Climate-Friendly
      Communities Campaign

      *Location: *Loma Prieta Chapter (Palo Alto, CA)

      *Hours:* 20 hours/week

      *Reports To: *Conservation Program Manager

      *Context: *The Conservation Program Coordinator organizes and implements a
      major conservation program, campaign, or initiative such as land use
      management, Clean Energy, Building Climate-Friendly Communities etc.

      *Scope: *Under direction of the Program Manager, implements the Chapter�s
      approved conservation program objectives.

      *Campaign:* The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate
      change through our Global Warming campaign, and brings the slogan �think
      global, act local� to life in the Silicon Valley Region. Leveraging the
      success of our �Cool Cities� teams and Sustainable Land Use Committee,
      Building Climate-Friendly Communities (BCFC) focuses on reducing greenhouse
      gas emissions through smart land use planning. We are part of a national
      effort to create livable, complete neighborhoods within � mile area
      surrounding transit stations that are integrated with shops and services
      and have a quality pedestrian environment that allows for healthier and
      more active lifestyles. Our strategy is to build up active community
      support with our Cool Cities Teams and provide technical assistance on
      local land use issues with the help of our Sustainable Land Use Committee.

      *Job Activities:*

      1. Working with Conservation Program Manager, helps recruit volunteers and
      develops and implements BCFC campaign strategies.

      2. Makes presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies to
      build awareness and support of BCFC campaign.

      3. Supports 14 existing Cool Cities Teams by recruiting volunteers,
      attending monthly meetings, and providing technical support on campaign
      issues.

      4. Supports the chapter's Sustainable Land Use Committee, by recruiting
      volunteers and organizing SLU monthly meetings.

      5. Facilitates and organizes regional events to support the Chapter.

      6. Writes press releases to keep the Club membership and the general public
      informed of environmental issues.

      7. Works closely with media representatives and builds relationships with
      the media to provide coverage and support of environmental issues.

      8. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned for the Chapter.

      9. Potential to expand into other campaign work if funding for the position
      is secured in 2013.

      *Knowledge & Skills:*

      -- BA/BS degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science, or a closely
      related field.

      -- 1-2 years experience in the environmental field that includes
      researching environmental issues and organizing campaigns, press relations,
      and public speaking.

      -- Excellent written and oral communication skills.

      -- Strong computer skills including proficiency with E-mail applications,
      Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and proficiency with using the internet to
      conduct research.

      -- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.

      -- Organized and detail-oriented, able to take the initiative in resolving
      problems or issues and complete tasks in a timely manner to achieve
      campaign objectives.

      The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills
      and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and
      vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a category 6
      exempt position.

      *Sierra Club is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse
      workforce.*

      *Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.*

      --
      Megan Fluke
      Conservation Program Manager

      3921 E. Bayshore Road Suite 204