Greenbelt Alliance: Volunteer and Internship Opportunities

    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2003
      Greenbelt Alliance is offering summer volunteer and internship
      positions around the Bay Area and Northern California.  Greenbelt
      Alliance is one of the Bay Area's leading land conservation and urban
      planning organizations.

      May-August Internship Opportunities -- All positions are based on one
      or more of our five Bay Area offices: San Francisco, San Jose, Santa
      Rosa, Fairfield or Walnut Creek.

      Greenbelt Outings Intern (San Francisco)
      Get people into their greenbelt! Plan and coordinate a busy calendar
      of free hikes and bike rides. Communicate with outings leaders to
      schedule outings; write and complete layout for outings calendar;
      generate publicity for upcoming outings. 6-12 hours weekly; 2 months.

      Urban Outings Intern (San Francisco)
      Are you interested in smart growth and planning issues? Do you love
      to learn about local examples of well-designed infill housing,
      revitalized downtowns, and transit-oriented development? Are you
      organized and self-motivated? If so, gain leadership experience as an
      intern for our Urban Outings Team. The team consists of volunteers
      interested in urban planning and housing who organize tours for local
      citizens, public officials and community leaders. 10-20 hours weekly,
      some evenings and weekends.

      Youth Outings Internb (San Francisco)
      Do you like coordinating and working with youth? Hone your skills in
      environmental education as a youth outings intern.  Work with our
      Outings Coordinator on planning and leading outdoor day trips with
      Bay Area youth. Internship will also include one or more projects
      such as creating educational materials focused on valuing Bay Area
      farmlands and open space. 15-40 hours weekly; 3-6 months.

      Compact Development Endorsement Team Intern (San Francisco)
      Update our database of endorsed compact development projects. Learn
      about smart growth design and development, communicate with local
      smart growth developers, take photos of completed projects, and
      summarize profiles for publications and the website. 5-20 hours
      weekly; 3-6 months.

      Research Intern: Smart Growth & Land Use Policy (San Francisco)
      Do you want to research the cutting edge of land use and smart
      growth? Join our team as the policy research intern and explore tough
      policy questions about land use. revise and draft a series of answers
      to the tough questions that we get asked. Create papers and materials
      that will be shared with the public, press and local decision makers.
      Package some of the more interesting "tough questions" as short
      policy papers. Ability to de-wonkify (or communicate clearly without
      lingo) essential. 16-40 hours weekly; 2-6 months.

      Research Intern: Ensuring Agricultural Viability (San Francisco)
      Concerned about the loss of farmland to urban sprawl? Help craft
      Greenbelt Alliance's position on this vital issue. Work with the New
      Tools Team, a subset of our Board, to compile an inventory of
      organizations and potential allies working for farmland protection;
      and assess the economic viability of near-urban farming. Backgroun in
      local agricultural issues a plus. 5-20 hours weekly; 2-6 months.

      Communications Team Intern (San Francisco)
      Explore media coverage and improve public communications for
      Greenbelt Alliance. Sift through newspapers clippings, manage the
      image ^ contact databases, and coordinate the factsheet rewrite
      process by working with Taproot Foundation consultants. Willingness
      to intern from July-November desirable. 5-20 hours weekly; 3-6 months.

      Web and Media Intern (San Francisco, San Jose, or Fairfield)
      help develop, maintain and promote www.greenbelt.org. Based on
      experiences and interests, the intern will assist with page creation,
      web content writing and website promotion. Internship focuses on
      strategy rather than design. 10-20 hours weekly, 3-6 months.

      Field Research Intern (Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa)
      Research land use and transportation issues in our field offices to
      assists with local policy analysis. Background in urban/regional
      planning, political science, or environmental studies. 5-20 hours
      weekly; 3-6 months.

      Field Office Intern (Fairfield, San Jose, Santa Rosa, Walnut Creek)
      Protect open space and promote transit-oriented development around
      the bay. maintain databases, assist with public outreach and learn
      about grassroots organizing. Interns must be self-motivated, eager to
      learn and dedicated to smart growth issues. Interns will be trained
      and meet weekly with field staff. 5-40 hours weekly; 3-6 months.

      Field Media Intern (San Jose)
      Help promote smart growth with the media. Sift through newspaper
      clippings, research local issues, pitch stories to editors and
      reporters, write website updates, promote citizen involvement in
      local media, and improve our communication with the public.
      Experience in journalism, public relations, mass communications, or
      marketing desirable. 5-20 hours weekly.

      To volunteer or intern with Greenbelt Alliance, please email your
      cover letter and resum� to Rachelle at:
      volunteer@... , or write:

      Rachelle Acu�a-Narvaez, Outreach Coordinator
      631 Howard Street, Suite 510
      San Francisco, CA 94105

      (School credit available for internships. Positions are unpaid unless
      otherwise specified.  The above intership opportunities are filled on
      a rolling basis.)

      May-August Volunteer Opportunities

      Greenbelt Outings Leaders (All areas)
      Help expose local residents to the Bay Area's greenbelt by leading
      hikes, bike tours or other outings. Lead 1-2 weekend day-trips
      quarterly.

      Urban Outings Team (All areas)
      Help organize tours of well-designed infill housing, revitalized
      downtowns, and transit-oriented development for local citizens,
      public officials and community leaders. Evenings and weekends; 5-20
      hours monthly.

      Communications Volunteer (San Francisco)
      Sift through newspaper clippings, research outreach sources, and help
      manage our databases. 5-20 hours weekly.

      Graphic Designer Extraordinaire (All areas)
      Build your portfolio while helping us create attractive graphics and
      layout for a new curriculum guide and accompanying materials. Use
      your talents to foster environmental stewardship for Youth Outings
      Program. Flexible schedule, some work from home. Must be able to use
      Pagemaker 7.0 for Mac (or Quark, if it can be converted to
      Pagemaker). 20-40 hour project.

      East Bay Community Volunteer (Alameda and Contra Costa Counties)
      Get directly involved in protecting open space and promoting livable
      communities by doing grassroots outreach and activism, or support our
      work behind the scenes providing communications and office support.
      Flexible hours.

      Solano/Napa Community Volunteer (Solano and Napa Counties)
      Get directly involved in protecting open space and promoting livable
      communities by doing grassroots outreach and activism, or support our
      work behind the scenes providing communications and office support.
      Flexible hours.

      Sonoma/Marin Community Volunteer (Sonoma and Marin Counties)
      Get directly involved in protecting open space and promoting livable
      communities by doing grassroots outreach and activism, or support our
      work behind the scenes providing communications and office support.
      Flexible hours.

      South Bay Community Volunteer (Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties)
      Get directly involved in protecting open space and promoting livable
      communities by doing grassroots outreach and activism, or support our
      work behind the scenes providing communications and office support.
      Flexible hours.

      To volunteer or intern with Greenbelt Alliance, please email your
      cover letter and resum� to Rachelle at:
      volunteer@... , or write:
      Rachelle Acu�a-Narvaez, Outreach Coordinator
      631 Howard Street, Suite 510
      San Francisco, CA 94105

      Please DO NOT HIT THE REPLY BUTTON
      Reply only to:  <A HREF="mailto:volunteer@...">