Sustainable Land use Intern with Sierra Club

  • Rick Kos
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2011
      *The Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter*
      *Winter/Spring 2012 Internship Announcement*
      *Sustainable Land Use Intern*
      *(part-time, unpaid)*

      The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change and
      brings the slogan “think
      global, act local” to life in the Silicon Valley. Leveraging the success of
      our Cool Cities teams and
      Sustainable Land Use Committee, our Building Climate-Friendly Communities
      campaign focuses on
      reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use planning. We are
      part of a national
      effort to create livable, complete neighborhoods near downtowns, transit
      stations and transit
      corridors that are integrated with shops and services and have a quality
      pedestrian environment
      that allows for healthier and more active lifestyles.

      We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support our
      Building Climate
      Friendly Communities campaign. Sustainable Land Use Interns will work
      closely with the
      Conservation Program Manager and our Sustainable Land Use Committee to
      review and make
      recommendations on long-term plans and individual development projects that
      are near
      downtowns, transit stations and transit corridors.

      An ideal candidate…

      - Education: Has or is pursuing a Master’s in Urban Planning or related
      degree
      - Strong technical writing skills
      - Available until June 2012 at 8-12 hours a week, during business hours
      (though some work
      can be done via telecommuting
      - Passion for sustainability and commitment to Sierra Club goals

      Key Responsibilities:

      - Review and analyze smart growth projects (1-2/month)
      - Work with Sustainable Land Use Committee to write comment letters on
      projects
      - Meet with city staff/decision makers to present recommendations on
      projects
      - Organize outreach events to increase community participation in public
      processes
      - Provide support to volunteers to help promote our recommendations
      - Assist with local house parties and public presentations
      - Represent the Chapter at local events.
      - Write articles, op-eds, and letters to the editor in local media
      sources
      - Update the Sustainable Land Use Committee website
      - Other tasks as assigned

      The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with highly
      motivated volunteers
      focused on making positive change in the world.
      If you are interested in the internship, learn more about Cool Cities Teams
      by going to
      http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/cool_cities/index or by calling 650 390
      9604.

      Send resume and cover letter to megan.fluke@...

      3921 E. Bayshore Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303 ● 650.390.8411 Fax: 650.390.8497●
      www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org