Free Lecture Tomorrow Downtown San Jose: CEQA and Infill Development

  • Lauren Doud
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2011
      The next Santa Clara County Housing Action Coalition(HAC) meeting is on
      Friday, (tomorrow), November 11th, 11am at the Santa Clara County
      Association of Realtors located at 1651 North First Street, San Jose.
      Please note the location change as the library will be closed for Veteran's
      Day.

      Earlier this year, the HAC endorsed a redevelopment proposal in Los Gatos
      for the potential expansion of Netflix along with additional housing. HAC
      members will recall that the site is an existing office campus near the
      intersection of Winchester and Highway 17 at the end of a future lightrail
      extension. Given these attributes, HAC members agreed that this is exactly
      the type of location appropriate for additional growth. Unfortunately, a
      small group of residents disagree and are successfully holding up the
      project through a lawsuit under one of the State's landmark environmental
      regulations, the California Environmental Quality Act, (CEQA).
      While well-intentioned, in some cases CEQA can impede smart growth.
      Finding the balance between sound and warranted environmental review and
      the promotion of infill development that by its very nature is
      environmentally preferable is an ongoing challenge.

      Join us on Friday as we explore CEQA and infill with Charlie Long of
      Charlie A. Long Properties, Chair of the Urban Land Institute's Sustainable
      Land Use Committee. ULI San Francisco recently brought forward proposals
      for streamlining CEQA. At this next HAC meeting, we'll learn about these
      ideas and have an opportunity to pepper our guest with questions about how
      to ensure the appropriate level of environmental review while promoting
      infill. Additional info about the meeting is here:
      http://hacscc.org/upcoming-meeting-agenda

      We hope to see you at the next HAC on Friday, November 11th.

      Feel free to contact Shiloh if you have any questions about the HAC
      or tomorrow's lecture.

      Shiloh Ballard

      Vice President, Housing & Community Development

      Silicon Valley Leadership Group<Group408-501-7859www.svlg.orgsballard@...>

      408-501-7859

      www.svlg.org

      sballard@...