Two internship opportunities with The Sierra Club

  • Rick Kos
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1 9:13 AM
      *The Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter*
      *Internship Announcement*
      *Sustainable Land Use Intern*
      (part-time, unpaid)

      The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change through
      our Global
      Warming campaign, and brings the slogan “think global, act local” to life in
      the Silicon Valley
      Region. Leveraging the success of our Cool Cities teams and Sustainable Land
      Use
      Committee, Building Climate-Friendly Communities (BCFC) focuses on reducing
      greenhouse
      gas emissions through smart land use planning. We are part of a national
      effort to create livable,
      complete neighborhoods within ¼ mile area surrounding transit stations that
      are integrated with
      shops and services and have a quality pedestrian environment that allows for
      healthier and
      more active lifestyles.

      We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support our
      Building ClimateFriendly
      Communities campaign. Sustainable Land Use Interns will work closely with
      the
      Grassroots Organizer and our Sustainable Land Use Committee to review and
      make
      recommendations on project proposals surrounding transit stations and
      transit corridors (i.e.: El
      Camino). Strong communication skills and a commitment to the Sierra Club's
      goals are a must.
      We are looking for individuals who are able to work 8-12 hours a week,
      during business hours, though
      some work can be done from home.

      Key Responsibilities:
      o Reviews and analyzes smart growth projects (1-2/month)
      o Works with Sustainable Land Use Committee to make recommendations on
      projects
      o Meet with city staff and decision makers to present recommendations on
      projects
      o Organize outreach events to increase community participation in public
      processes
      o Provide support to volunteers to help promote smart growth initiatives
      o Assist with local house parties and public presentations
      o Represent Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign at local events.
      o Help write articles and op-eds in local media sources
      o Other tasks as assigned

      The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with highly
      motivated volunteers
      focused on making positive change in the world.
      If you are interested in the internship, you can learn more about our
      Building Climate-Friendly
      Communities campaign at lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/BCFC.asp or by calling 650
      390 9604.

      Send resume and cover letter to megan.fluke@....
      Contact info: 3921 E. Bayshore Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303 ● 650.390.8411 Fax:
      650.390.8497 ● www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org

      *The Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter*
      *Fall Internship Announcement*
      *Community Outreach Intern*
[...]

      Friendly Communities campaign. Community Outreach interns work closely with
      the Grassroots
      Organizer to foster support for smart growth. Strong communication skills
      and a commitment to
      the Sierra Club's goals are a must. We are looking for individuals who are
      able to work 8-12
      hours a week, during business hours- though some work can be done from home
      and some
      events are in the evenings.

      Key Responsibilities:
      o Assist Cool Cities Teams and community groups to make them more
      self-sustaining teams
      o Recruit and engaging new volunteers
      o Provide guidance on campaign organizing to volunteer leaders
      o Assist with local house parties and public presentations
      o Management and expansion of the Chapter’s presence online
      o Represent Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign at local events.
      o Support letter writing and phone banking campaigns to increase engagement
      of Chapter
      members and the general public
      o Write articles for internal and external media sources
      o Data entry and other administrative support