Community Outreach Intern, Sierra Club, part-time, unpaid

  • Hilary Nixon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2011
      The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change
      through our Global Warming campaign, and brings the slogan “think
      global, act local” to life in the Silicon Valley Region. Leveraging
      the success of our Cool Cities teams and Sustainable Land Use
      Committee, Building Climate-Friendly Communities (BCFC) focuses on
      reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use planning. We
      are part of a national effort to create livable, complete
      neighborhoods within ¼ mile area surrounding transit stations that are
      integrated with shops and services and have a quality pedestrian
      environment that allows for healthier and more active lifestyles.
      We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support
      our Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign. Community Outreach
      interns work closely with the Grassroots Organizer to foster support
      for smart growth. Strong communication skills and a commitment to the
      Sierra Club's goals are a must. We are looking for individuals who are
      able to work 8-12 hours a week, during business hours- though some
      work can be done from home and some events are in the evenings.
      Key Responsibilities:
      o Assist Cool Cities Teams and community groups to make them more
      self-sustaining teams
      o Recruit and engaging new volunteers
      o Provide guidance on campaign organizing to volunteer leaders
      o Assist with local house parties and public presentations
      o Management and expansion of the Chapter’s presence online
      o Represent Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign at local events.
      o Support letter writing and phone banking campaigns to increase
      engagement of Chapter members and the general public
      o Write articles for internal and external media sources
      o Data entry and other administrative support
      o Other tasks as assigned
      The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with
      highly motivated volunteers focused on making positive change in the
      world.
      If you are interested in the internship, you can learn more about our
      Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign at
      lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/BCFC.asp or by calling 650 390 9604.
      Send resume and cover letter to megan.fluke@...

      --
      Hilary Nixon, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor