Sustainable Land Use Intern, Sierra Club, part-time, unpaid

  • Hilary Nixon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2011
      The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change
      through our Global Warming campaign, and brings the slogan “think
      global, act local” to life in the Silicon Valley Region. Leveraging
      the success of our Cool Cities teams and Sustainable Land Use
      Committee, Building Climate-Friendly Communities (BCFC) focuses on
      reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use planning. We
      are part of a national effort to create livable, complete
      neighborhoods within ¼ mile area surrounding transit stations that are
      integrated with shops and services and have a quality pedestrian
      environment that allows for healthier and more active lifestyles.
      We are seeking motivated, friendly and creative individuals to support
      our Building Climate- Friendly Communities campaign. Sustainable Land
      Use Interns will work closely with the Grassroots Organizer and our
      Sustainable Land Use Committee to review and make recommendations on
      project proposals surrounding transit stations and transit corridors
      (i.e.: El Camino). Strong communication skills and a commitment to the
      Sierra Club's goals are a must. We are looking for individuals who are
      able to work 8-12 hours a week, during business hours- though some
      work can be done from home.
      Key Responsibilities:
      o Reviews and analyzes smart growth projects (1-2/month)
      o Works with Sustainable Land Use Committee to make recommendations on projects
      o Meet with city staff and decision makers to present recommendations
      on projects
      o Organize outreach events to increase community participation in
      public processes
      o Provide support to volunteers to help promote smart growth initiatives
      o Assist with local house parties and public presentations
      o Represent Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign at local events.
      o Help write articles and op-eds in local media sources
      o Other tasks as assigned
      The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with
      highly motivated volunteers focused on making positive change in the
      world.
      If you are interested in the internship, you can learn more about our
      Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign at
      lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/BCFC.asp or by calling 650 390 9604.
      Send resume and cover letter to megan.fluke@....

      --
      Hilary Nixon, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor