Veggielution Community Farm - Farming, Outreach, Mul timedia, and Administrative Internships Available - San Jos é, California

  • Yan Yin Choy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 3:32 PM
      *Veggielution Internships * <http://veggielution.org/internships>
      **

      Veggielution empowers youth and adults from diverse backgrounds to create a
      sustainable food system in San Jos�. Our urban farm engages the community by
      providing access to healthy and local food, creating youth leadership
      opportunities, and developing creative solutions to social and environmental
      justice issues.

      We will work with you to tailor your internship to meet your specific skills
      and needs. We want you to learn and grow as you contribute to the work of
      the organization.

      *Time Commitment:* We require a minimum of 175 hours from each intern. This
      works out to about 6-8 hrs a week for 6 months or 13 hrs a week for 3
      months. We can be flexible on the length of time it takes you to fulfill the
      minimum hour requirement.

      *Compensation: *This is an unpaid internship. You will get farm fresh
      produce, class credit (if applicable), new skills, job references or a
      letter of recommendation, and a great experience.

      *We are a startup nonprofit looking for energetic, motivated individuals who
      want to join our team and make a difference in their world.*

      * *

      Farming Intern <http://www.veggielution.org/internships#farming>

      Outreach Intern <http://www.veggielution.org/internships#outreach>

      Multimedia Intern <http://www.veggielution.org/internships#multimedia>

      Admin Intern <http://www.veggielution.org/internships#admin>
      ------------------------------
      *Farming Intern (4 positions available)*

      Farm interns have become an integral part of the Veggielution crew, and each
      season we bring on a small cadre of bright and motivated individuals to
      participate in this unique program. We want people who are ready for
      strenuous physical labor, who have a very strong work ethic and a passion
      for the work we are doing here at the farm.

      Farming interns will gain valuable experience in sustainable farming
      techniques such as worm composting, greenhouse production, irrigation,
      planting, weed and fertility management. You will learn to care for many
      crop varieties through the process of helping to plant and maintain our
      fall/winter garden. You will work in a collaborative, team environment,
      facilitating other volunteers at the farm, and working with staff to
      strengthen daily farm operations. You will be responsible for helping with
      workday planning, recordkeeping, and leading small groups of volunteers
      during workdays.

      *Duties:*

      - Attend at least 2 workdays per week
      - Attend planning meetings held 30 minutes before each workday
      - Participate in trainings held on Saturday afternoons every month
      - Work quickly and efficiently at a variety of farm tasks
      - Lead small groups of volunteers during workdays

      In addition to your role as an on-farm leader working under the Farm Manager
      and Assistant Farm Manager, there are many projects you will be able to take
      leadership in. Some of these projects include

      - Farm Planning and Record Keeping
      - Facilitating Spanish-Speaking groups
      - Developing our Worm Composting Operation
      - Managing Greenhouse Operations
      - Helping with our onsite farmstand
      - Facilitating donations to soup kitchens and other community groups
      - Native plant propagation / Native Hedgerow expansion and maintenance
      - Restaurant Sales & the Downtown San Jos� Farmer�s Market

      *Want to Apply?*

      Please submit your resume and a brief description of why you are interested
      in the position to:

      Mark Anthony Medeiros, Farm Manager, mark@...
      ------------------------------
      *Outreach Intern ( 2 positions available)*

      Veggielution Community Farm strives to integrate the community, especially
      east San Jos�, in all farm activities, from volunteering at workdays to
      participating in our educational workshops. Our Outreach and Education Team,
      led by our two part-time Outreach Coordinators, is the backbone of that
      effort. The Outreach Intern will support many crucial outreach and education
      priorities as an integral part of that team.

      This internship would be ideal for anyone with an interest in community
      organizing, public speaking, education, cooking, and sustainable farming.
      The intern will work closely with our two Outreach and Education
      Coordinators to develop an outreach strategy, identify key groups for
      outreach activities such as tabling and presentations, and to successfully
      facilitate our Cooking Matters program and workshop series. Cooking Matters
      introduces local families to healthy cooking and nutrition, and provides
      them with fresh produce and other food to cook at home. Many free workshops
      similarly empower community members to grow and cook healthy food at home.

      These valuable experiences complement studies in the social sciences, and
      prepare interns for work in the nonprofit and public relations fields.

      *Duties:*

      - Attend at least 3 workdays per month
      - Table at public events, introducing people to Veggielution�s workdays,
      mission, and programs and recruiting volunteers
      - Distribute flyers promoting Workdays, Family Day, and other programs
      - Assist in planning special events including volunteer appreciation
      - Assist Outreach Coordinators with facilitation of Cooking Matters and
      workshops
      - Help track volunteer hours in data management system
      - Help track community partners and opportunities for outreach
      - Attend staff meetings and other meetings relevant to your duties

      *The ideal candidate for this position has:*

      - Spanish fluency
      - Knowledge of current issues around food, health, and sustainable
      agriculture
      - Articulate oral and written communication skills
      - Comfort in talking to groups of people
      - Experience planning events
      - Experience with community organizing
      - Enthusiasm and passion for Veggielution�s mission

      *Want to Apply?*

      Please submit your resume and a brief description of why you are interested
      in the position to:

      Yonara Acevedo , Outreach and Education Coordinator,
      yonaraa@...
      ------------------------------
      Multimedia Intern (2 positions available)

      Veggielution Community Farm strives to integrate the community, especially
      east San Jos�, in all farm activities, from volunteering at workdays to
      participating in our educational workshops. Our Outreach Team, led by our
      two part-time Outreach Coordinators, is the backbone of that effort. The
      Multimedia Intern will support that team with a focus on digital multimedia
      projects.

      This internship would be ideal for anyone eager to put their multimedia
      skills to use promoting an innovative and grassroots nonprofit that seeks to
      create a sustainable food system in San Jos�. We are looking to add a member
      to our Outreach Team who brings technical skills in photography,
      videography, video, audio and photo editing, social media management,
      graphic design and website design. We are seeking a talented visual and
      digital storyteller who can share Veggielution�s various programs with the
      local, national, and global community, using stunning images, captivating
      audio, and innovative digital tools to engage people with our mission.

      These valuable hands-on experiences complement studies in journalism, mass
      communications and public relations, and prepare interns for work in
      journalism, public relations, marketing and social media management.

      *Duties:*

      - Attend at least 3 workdays per month
      - Work with Outreach Team and Executive Director to identify multimedia
      projects, set project timelines, deliver on deadline and make revisions as
      directed
      - Capture photos, audio interviews, ambient sound and video during
      workdays, workshops, and special events at our visually striking farm in the
      middle of the city
      - Produce multimedia projects to be shared on our website, YouTube,
      Flickr, Facebook and Twitter
      - Regularly shoot and edit photos to be added to Flickr photostream and
      website
      - Assist in using social media and multimedia to promote programs,
      workshops and special events
      - Attend staff meetings and other meetings relevant to your duties

      *The ideal candidate for this position has:*

      - Knowledge of current issues around food, health, the environment and
      sustainable agriculture
      - Experience producing content using social media tools, especially
      Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, Twitter, and blogging
      - Proficiency with audio, image and video editing software, such as
      Photoshop and Final Cut
      - A keen eye for beautiful visual imagery
      - Articulate oral and written communication skills
      - Comfort with talking to groups of people
      - Enthusiasm and passion for Veggielution�s mission
      - Spanish fluency

      *Want to Apply?*

      Please submit your resume, a few samples of your multimedia work and a brief
      description of why you are interested in the position to:

      Amie Frisch, Executive Director, amie@...
      ------------------------------
      Admin Intern (1 position available � Desired Start Date: August 2011)

      Want to get to know the backbone of what it takes to run a non-profit? Get
      to know the inner workings and big picture of how it all happens. This
      intern will work closely with the Executive Director, assisting with vital
      behind the scenes work like grant writing, program evaluation, donor
      development, event planning, and more.

      This internship is ideal for someone who wants to start their own non-profit
      in the future, and/or wants to learn about organizational development and
      management.

      *Duties:*

      - Attend at least 2 workdays per month
      - Maintain communication with Farm Box
      program<http://www.veggielution.org/veggielution.org/farm-box>participants
      - Oversee the Farm Box program pick up on Tuesdays from 1:00-5:00pm
      (ongoing until November 1, 2011)
      - Outreach about the Farm Box program if there are unsubscribers
      - Become intimately familiar with Veggielution mission and goals
      - Assist with drafting grants and letters of intent
      - Other small writing projects including collaboration with the
      Multimedia and Outreach Interns to draft the newsletter and any other
      publications.
      - Research appropriate grant opportunities
      - Assist in planning special events including fundraisers
      - Assist with donor and volunteer appreciation
      - Track volunteer hours in volunteer management system
      - Track donors in donor management system
      - Pull data for grant reports
      - Small research and survey projects
      - Attend staff meetings and other meetings relevant to your duties

      *The ideal candidate for this position has:*

      - Knowledge of current issues around food, health, and sustainable
      agriculture
      - Articulate oral and written communication skills
      - Capability to work independently
      - Creative problem solving skills
      - Organization, thoughtfulness, and a positive attitude

      --
      Yan Yin Choy
      Environmental Studies and Anthropology, Dean's Scholar, San Jos�* State

      "Go out there and get peace, think peace, live peace and breathe peace." -
      Solidarity Message