Traffic Intern for City of Pleasanton
- *CITY OF PLEASANTON*
*invites applications for the position of:*
An Equal Opportunity Employer *SALARY:* $11.65 - $14.17 Hourly
*OPENING DATE:* 07/11/11 *CLOSING DATE:* Continuous
* THE COMMUNITY: *
One of Northern California�s premier residential and business communities,
Pleasanton is well regarded as an attractive and friendly city with a strong
heritage, active and involved residents, a wide variety of services, well
planned business areas, a historic downtown and well-cared for homes in
family oriented neighborhoods.
*OUR VISION FOR THE ORGANIZATION
*We believe in an organization that:
- Provides excellent customer service at all levels.
- Has a management team that leads by example, where strength of
character, dedication, problem-solving and integrity count.
- Endorses continuous learning to assure employees have the skills to
provide effective services and the training and education to prepare for
career advancement opportunities.
- Fosters open and honest communication among all employees, across all
departments and with the public.
- Is driven by clear objectives where strong performance is rewarded.
- Operates as one cohesive organization, not isolated departments,
fostering collaborative interdepartmental partnerships with all employees
for organizational and community problem-solving.
- Values all members of the organization and the community.
*The Traffic Engineering Division is located in the Administration Offices
of the City of Pleasanton. The Traffic Engineering Division of the Community
Development Department is responsible for planning and operating the
roadways, sidewalks, and bikeways in the City to provide for the safe and
efficient movement of people, goods and services within Pleasanton. The most
common requests to Traffic Division staff involve review of safety, speed,
traffic signals, signs and markings, school and neighborhood traffic
Under the direction of the City Traffic Engineer and other Traffic Division
staff members, the Intern will perform various duties in support of projects
and assignments in the Traffic Engineering Division.
*Typical duties include:*
- Collect traffic data throughout the City using specialized equipment.
Drive City vehicles including mid-size van.
- Organize traffic data into spreadsheets and charts using Microsoft
Excel and various graphics programs.
- Take measurements, take photographs, and record observations on
roadways, sidewalks, and bikeways throughout the City.
- Perform routine maintenance of computerized collision records program.
- Work with Geographic Information Systems program to update city maps
related to traffic.
- Assist with the preparation of work requests for installation of signs,
and other traffic control devices.
*THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:*
*The ideal candidate will:*
- Be pursuing a college degree in a technical field.
- Be at least 17 years of age.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office computer applications.
- Possess the ability to multi task and prioritize assignments.
- Possess a valid California Class C driver's license.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
*THE SELECTION PROCESS:*
The qualifications of each applicant, as set forth in the employment
application will be reviewed. The most qualified candidates will be invited
to participate in an oral examination process, which may include certain
practical and written exercises intended to assess the candidate�s ability
to perform certain duties of the position.
*Candidates will receive all communications by email regarding the
recruitment process, which includes, but is not limited to, application
status, testing dates, and interview scheduling. If you require special
accommodations, please contact Human Resources. *
*All aspects of employment shall be without regard to sex, disability, race,
political affiliation, religious creed, natural origin, or age. Reasonable
accommodations will be made for disabled applicants. Please advise the
Human Resources Office, in advance, of any special needs.*
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
123 Main Street, P.O. Box 520
Pleasanton, CA 94566
An Equal Opportunity Employer Job #Temp-07/11
***Eduardo C. Serafin, PE, AICP*
Traffic Engineer & Transportation Planner
Department of Urban & Regional Planning
San Jose State University
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]