FT job - Berkeley - The Planning Center | DC&E - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23 8:40 AM
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------

      From: Planning Jobs | Department of City and Regional Planning at
      Berkeley <webmaster@...>
      Date: Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM
      Subject: Planning Jobs - Department of City and Regional Planning at Berkeley

      Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager: City and Regional
      Planning / Sustainable Development

      Job Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager: City and
      Regional Planning / Sustainable Development

      The Planning Center | DC&E is hiring a GIS Manager to oversee
      firm-wide GIS efforts.

      The Planning Center | DC&E is a multi-disciplinary firm of
      approximately 110 planners, urban designers and landscape architects
      working in the fields of city planning, environmental review, urban
      design, landscape architecture, GIS and public participation. The
      Planning Center and Design, Community & Environment (DC&E) merged in
      March 2011, and provide services throughout California and the
      Intermountain West. Please take a look at our websites
      (www.planningcenter.com and www.dceplanning.com ) to find out more
      about the work we do.

      Our GIS Manager oversees all aspects of GIS work in all of our
      offices, with specific duties including:
      • Managing and completing stand-alone projects that emphasize GIS.
      • Assisting other staff in creating GIS systems and completing GIS
      analyses for planning and design projects.
      • Training in-house and client staff in GIS applications.
      • Creating and maintaining company-wide GIS systems and protocols.
      • Developing and managing DC&E’s proprietary “GreenScore” GIS-based
      indicators model.
      • Making recommendations regarding company-wide GIS hardware and software needs.
      • Marketing the company’s GIS services, both for stand-alone GIS
      projects and as part of our other services.

      We seek candidates with experience in all planning- and design-related
      applications of GIS, with special emphasis on one or more of the
      following:
      • Land use planning, including issues such as ownership, use, land
      value and agricultural resources.
      • GIS-based scenario modeling tools such as CommunityVIZ, Index and/or PLACE3S.
      • Urban design, including 3D modeling and visual simulations.
      • Sustainability, including energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions.
      • Environmental issues and constraints, such as hazardous materials
      and geological features.
      • Planning-level transportation, bicycle and pedestrian analysis.
      • Natural resource planning, including vegetation and habitat mapping.
      • Open space and trail planning, including ownership, trail alignments
      and open space value.
      • Public health, including access to healthy food and incidence of disease.

      Candidates should be conversant with enterprise-level GIS systems
      using ESRI products, and have experience in creating and managing
      web-based GIS tools and complex geodatabases. Applicants should also
      have the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of staff
      members, manage projects with minimal oversight, and work as a
      self-starter. A minimum of five years experience in progressively
      responsible GIS positions is required. Additional experience in
      programming, website development, GPS applications and/or remote
      sensing, along with ESRI Certification, would all be a plus but are
      not required.

      We offer a competitive salary, generous benefits, and a casual work
      environment. The selected candidate could work from either of our
      offices in Berkeley or Costa Mesa.

      Please email a cover letter, your resume, salary requirements and/or
      history, and a sample of one or more GIS projects as a PDF attachment
      to ken@..., or fax to (510) 848-4315.

      The Planning Center | DC&E is an equal opportunity e
      Firm Name: The Planning Center | DC&E
      Firm Website: www.planningcenter.com
      Location: Berkeley or Costa Mesa
      Paid: Paid
      Start Date: asap
      Category: GIS
      Contact Name: Ken Garkow, Operations Manager
      Contact Email: ken@...
      Contact Phone: (no calls, please
      Date Submitted: April 22, 2011
      Job Type: Permanent