FT job - Berkeley - The Planning Center | DC&E - Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager
- ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Planning Jobs | Department of City and Regional Planning at
Date: Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 9:12 PM
Subject: Planning Jobs - Department of City and Regional Planning at Berkeley
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager: City and Regional
Planning / Sustainable Development
Posted: 22 Apr 2011 06:07 PM PDT
Job Title: Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Manager: City and
Regional Planning / Sustainable Development
The Planning Center | DC&E is hiring a GIS Manager to oversee
firm-wide GIS efforts.
The Planning Center | DC&E is a multi-disciplinary firm of
approximately 110 planners, urban designers and landscape architects
working in the fields of city planning, environmental review, urban
design, landscape architecture, GIS and public participation. The
Planning Center and Design, Community & Environment (DC&E) merged in
March 2011, and provide services throughout California and the
Intermountain West. Please take a look at our websites
(www.planningcenter.com and www.dceplanning.com ) to find out more
about the work we do.
Our GIS Manager oversees all aspects of GIS work in all of our
offices, with specific duties including:
• Managing and completing stand-alone projects that emphasize GIS.
• Assisting other staff in creating GIS systems and completing GIS
analyses for planning and design projects.
• Training in-house and client staff in GIS applications.
• Creating and maintaining company-wide GIS systems and protocols.
• Developing and managing DC&E’s proprietary “GreenScore” GIS-based
• Making recommendations regarding company-wide GIS hardware and software needs.
• Marketing the company’s GIS services, both for stand-alone GIS
projects and as part of our other services.
We seek candidates with experience in all planning- and design-related
applications of GIS, with special emphasis on one or more of the
• Land use planning, including issues such as ownership, use, land
value and agricultural resources.
• GIS-based scenario modeling tools such as CommunityVIZ, Index and/or PLACE3S.
• Urban design, including 3D modeling and visual simulations.
• Sustainability, including energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions.
• Environmental issues and constraints, such as hazardous materials
and geological features.
• Planning-level transportation, bicycle and pedestrian analysis.
• Natural resource planning, including vegetation and habitat mapping.
• Open space and trail planning, including ownership, trail alignments
and open space value.
• Public health, including access to healthy food and incidence of disease.
Candidates should be conversant with enterprise-level GIS systems
using ESRI products, and have experience in creating and managing
web-based GIS tools and complex geodatabases. Applicants should also
have the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of staff
members, manage projects with minimal oversight, and work as a
self-starter. A minimum of five years experience in progressively
responsible GIS positions is required. Additional experience in
programming, website development, GPS applications and/or remote
sensing, along with ESRI Certification, would all be a plus but are
We offer a competitive salary, generous benefits, and a casual work
environment. The selected candidate could work from either of our
offices in Berkeley or Costa Mesa.
Please email a cover letter, your resume, salary requirements and/or
history, and a sample of one or more GIS projects as a PDF attachment
to ken@..., or fax to (510) 848-4315.
The Planning Center | DC&E is an equal opportunity e
Firm Name: The Planning Center | DC&E
Firm Website: www.planningcenter.com
Location: Berkeley or Costa Mesa
Start Date: asap
Contact Name: Ken Garkow, Operations Manager
Contact Email: ken@...
Contact Phone: (no calls, please
Date Submitted: April 22, 2011
Job Type: Permanent