Conference: "The Death + Life of Social Factors" (UC Berkeley; April 29 - May 1)

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 10:50 AM
      From http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/events/conf/deathandlife:

      A Conference Reexamining Behavioral and Cultural Research in
      Environmental Design

      College of Environmental Design, University of California, Berkeley
      Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
      April 29–May 1, 2011

      Ever since William Whyte observed New Yorkers taking lunch breaks in
      urban plazas and Amos Rapoport demonstrated the role of social and
      cultural factors in shaping traditional houses, research on the
      two-way relationship between people and the environment has been part
      of the field of environmental design, including architecture,
      landscape architecture, and planning. This interest in the social
      quality of space has been taken up by many different researchers, from
      New Urbanists to sociologists such as Elizabeth Shove and Simon Guy.
      Meanwhile, theoretical and methodological developments in our field,
      such as Clare Cooper Marcus’s study on Easter Hill Village or
      Christopher Alexander’s pattern language, set grounds for our own and
      other disciplines, respectively. Throughout the last 40 years,
      psychologists, behaviorists, sociologists, anthropologists, and
      historians, among others, have contributed to a body of knowledge
      applicable to design at many scales through a broad spectrum of
      methodological and theoretical orientations.

      Given the variety and the dynamism within this field, this conference
      aims to start a dialogue about the present and future of social
      research in environmental design. From its early days, where there was
      an alignment with behavioral determinism, to more recent approaches
      such as anthropological studies of space, social factors has been a
      diverse — and divisive — topic. Even though “the social” is still a
      major concern in environmental design research today, methods have
      shifted in response to the adoption of participatory design and the
      influence of post-modern and post-structuralist modes of inquiry.
      Moreover, other fields also have staked a claim to the analysis of
      social issues related to space. In this conference, we ask how
      contemporary research addresses the idea of “the social” in space, not
      only from those in our field, but also from those in emerging fields
      of research, to understand how we might address critiques such as the
      disconnect with design practice and our use of social science methods.
      Thus, we aim to connect researchers across dispersed fields, and to
      provide a platform for working together to define a common set of
      interests, research questions, and set a new direction for our field.
      In short, we seek the rebirth and redefinition of social factors.

      More details at http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/events/conf/deathandlife