You Choose Santa Clara County - Thursday, April 21, 5:30pm, Mountain View

  • Riad
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2011
      YOU CHOOSE BAY AREA

      WHAT

      YouChoose Santa Clara County - Thursday, April 21, 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.-

      You must sign up to attend. Please click here to register. (http://eventactions.com/ea.aspx?ea=Rsvp)

      Microsoft Corporation, 1065 La Avenida Street, Mountain View

      WHY

      By 2035 there will be an estimated 1.2 million new jobs and 900,000 new households within the Bay Area. Where will all of these people live? Where will the new housing be built? How will people get around?

      If not planned for and managed carefully, a population increase of this size would compound some of our most overarching concerns -- rising air pollution levels, climate change, escalating cost of living, increasing traffic and less green space for all of us to enjoy.

      Silicon Valley Community Foundation and Greenbelt Alliance strongly believe that planning for this projected growth needs to start now if we are going to preserve our quality of life and natural resources for generations to come.

      The community foundation and Greenbelt Alliance are leading a strategic initiative, Envision Bay Area, to strengthen the ability of residents and community leaders to make informed decisions about the building and growth that will shape the future environment, economy and everyday life in our communities.

      At the core of the initiative is YouChoose Bay Area, an interactive, web-based simulation that allows you to outline your priorities, choose different growth options and see future consequences. It translates complicated planning concepts into user-friendly images. Animations allow you to see the links between growth and the things you care deeply about, such as open space preservation, clean air, water consumption, public health, energy use, affordable housing, greenhouse gas emissions and access to mass transit.

      In the spring of 2011, Envision Bay Area will team up with the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and the Association of Bay Area Governments to hold five forums in Santa Clara, San Mateo, Contra Costa, Alameda and Sonoma counties. The forums will be crucial to aligning transportation, land-use and housing policies to meet greenhouse gas emissions as required under state law. YouChoose Bay Area will be used to facilitate conversations about our future growth, the choices available to us and the inevitable tradeoffs. Start sharing your ideas with us directly online at www.youchoosebayarea.org.

      Envision Bay Area is a two-year initiative and is partially funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. It includes lead nonprofit partner Greenbelt Alliance, consulting partner, TransForm, renowned urban planning firm Calthorpe Associates, Northern California Public Broadcasting and an advisory group representing leading businesses, public health experts, environmental and social-equity advocates, labor, community-based organizations and academics.