Greenbelt Alliance: event series on land-use issues in South Santa Clara County

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2011
      Greenbelt Alliance

      Dear Greenbelt Alliance supporter,

      In April and May, please join us for a series of events investigating
      land-use issues in South Santa Clara County.

      We've partnered with Committee for Green
      Foothills<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=Gr5Rr2r-u4he_pid2hLvvg..>to
      explore how to plan for a future where farms, natural areas, and
      attractive towns thrive side by side and how to build a shared understanding
      of how the health of our working landscapes is inextricably linked to the
      health of our communities. We'll host two back-to-back events in April: Our
      *Food of Life Agriculture
      Panel*<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=ldpqvypNCnNs28u_el4WNA..>on
      *Friday, April 15*, and our *Quality of Life Urban
      Tour<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=BnqBLMI4lwvzv_dRQ0d55w..>
      * on *Saturday, April 16*. The series will culminate in a community design
      day on May 14. Info about this investigative series is below.

      We look forward to seeing you at these events!

      Sincerely,

      Erin McDaniel
      Open Space Campaign Coordinator, South Santa Clara County

      ------------------------------

      *Food of Life Agriculture
      Panel*<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=18jD-T46jCjZJG1W-FsLmg..>
      The Food of Life event will be a panel discussion on South Santa Clara
      County agriculture at the Lizarran Tapas Restaurant in Gilroy. Panelists
      will speak to topics such as current practices, economic viability, local
      food systems, sustainability and more. It promises to be an informative and
      lively event as we explore the opportunities and challenges facing South
      Santa Clara County agriculture.
      [image: Farm, Morgan Hill]
      Panelists will include:

      - Patrick Archie, Director of Campus and Community Programs for the
      Environmental Studies Institute at Santa Clara University
      - Tim Chiala, Director of Fresh Market Sales and Procurement for George
      Chiala Farms, Inc., third-generation Morgan Hill farmer
      - Kathryn Lyddan, Executive Director of the Brentwood Agricultural Land
      Trust
      - Brenda Subia, Co-Founder and Farmer of Ynot Organics

      *Date*: Friday, April 15
      *Time*: 6 � 8:30 p.m.
      *Location*: Lizarran Tapas Restaurant, 7400 Monterey St., Gilroy, CA 95020
      *Cost*: Event is free. Non-hosted dinner and bar.
      * *
      Please RSVP by April
      13<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=pDGudHh1PTbpwEC5WXtoTw..>.
      Attendance is eligible for AICP CM Credits.

      This event is co-sponsored by the Santa Clara County Food System Alliance,
      The Health Trust, American Planning Association- Northern California
      Section, The Santa Clara County Farm Bureau and the Santa Clara
      County Department of Agriculture and Environmental Management.

      ------------------------------

      *Quality of Life Urban
      Tour*<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=8_DYEdc7hWfB1_B5L0_1MA..>
      Explore Downtown Morgan Hill on this walking tour that will highlight the
      elements of a vibrant community designed for people.
      [image: Downtown Morgan Hill]
      Tour stops include:

      - The Morgan Hill Community Garden
      - LLagas Creek in Downtown Morgan Hill -- a �daylighted� creek in
      downtown
      - The Third Street Promenade
      - Depot Commons -- a mixed-use development
      - The Granary -- a LEED Gold Certified building
      - A complimentary lunch in downtown hosted by Marieke Ruys of Thrive!
      Morgan Hill

      *Date*: Saturday, April 16
      *Time*: 9:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
      * Location*: The Tour will start at the Morgan Hill Community Garden,
      located off of Butterfield Avenue, in between the Court House and the VTA
      parking lot.
      *Cost*: Event is free. Complimentary lunch provided.
      * *
      Please RSVP by April
      13<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=Ac3OFA40JYtmDBAOFW-LqA..>.
      Attendance is eligible for AICP CM Credits.

      This event is co-sponsored by the American Planning Association- Northern
      California Section, the Morgan Hill Community Garden, Thrive! Morgan Hill
      and Weston Miles Architects, Inc.

      ------------------------------

      *Combining the Components of Life: Community Design
      Day*<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=4Xws5U14qeQ1KDVIA9i-yg..>
      Please join us at the Community Design Day, the last event of our series,
      where we will create a community driven vision for the region -- from South
      San Jose to the valley�s fertile farmlands in Gilroy to Sargent Ranch at the
      County border.

      This is your opportunity to influence and be a part of moving a vision
      forward. The Design Day will be held at The Granary in Morgan Hill, a LEED
      Gold Certified building and home to Weston Miles Architects, Inc.
      Professional designers from American Institute of Certified Planners
      (AICP), American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), and American
      Institute of Architects (AIA) have been invited to be a part of the
      Community Design Day to transform your ideas into imagery. In addition,
      Assemblymember Bill Monning, from the 27th District, will be a guest
      speaker.

      We need YOU to be the local voice of ideas and to share your point of view
      on issues such as regional transportation like High Speed Rail and regional
      bike trails, revitalization and growth in downtown areas as well as overall
      County growth, the lack of funding for open spaces the future of local
      farmland, the need for wildlife corridors, and the protection of our
      waterways.

      What is YOUR vision for South Santa Clara County?

      *Date*: Saturday, May 14
      *Time*: 11:00 a.m.
      *Location*: The Granary, 17500 Depot Street Morgan Hill, CA 95037
      *Cost*: Event is free. Complimentary lunch provided.

      Please RSVP by May
      12<http://act.greenbelt.org/site/R?i=fOLJPekAuKohjFeWK8qMMw..>.
      Attendance is eligible for AICP CM Credits.

      This event is co-sponsored by American Planning Association, Northern
      California Chapter and Weston Miles Architects, Inc.

      For more information on this series, contact emcdaniel@....

      1922 The Alameda, Suite 213 | San Jose, CA 95126