Paid internship - Oakland - Public Health Law & Policy: Planning for Healthy Places Summer Intern

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2011
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------

      From: Planning Jobs | Department of City and Regional Planning at
      Berkeley <webmaster@...>
      Date: Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM
      Subject: Planning Jobs - Department of City and Regional Planning at Berkeley

      Public Health Law & Policy: Planning for Healthy Places Summer Intern

      Job Title: Public Health Law & Policy: Planning for Healthy Places Summer Intern

      ways to leverage law and policy to improve public health. We provide
      practical legal and policy tools – including model laws and policies,
      fact sheets, FAQs, and toolkits, as well as tailored trainings and
      one-on-one consultation – to help make healthy communities the norm,
      not the exception.

      PHLP’s staff attorneys, urban planners, and policy analysts partner
      with local, state, and national leaders to develop legal and policy
      solutions to public health challenges. Drawing upon an extensive
      network of scholars and scientists, PHLP identifies how law and policy
      can best influence health outcomes. We work with advocates, community
      leaders, health and planning agencies, public and private attorneys,
      and many others to develop practical tools accompanied by customized
      trainings and technical assistance. We capture and share the learning
      that comes from implementing new policy strategies in local
      communities and integrate these results to develop future solutions
      and support.

      PHLP specializes in laws and policies that affect chronic disease with
      a particular focus on addressing health disparities in low income and
      communities of color. We are breaking new ground by creating land use,
      economic development, and redevelopment tools that can reshape urban
      and rural communities to improve health outcomes through the planning
      and development process. In many communities, the healthy choice is
      often not the easy choice – and we see law and policy as critical
      tools to ensure that all communities have access to safe, vibrant, and
      healthy environments. For more information, visit our website at
      www.phlpnet.org.

      Planning for Healthy Places (PHP), a project of PHLP, explores
      community planning solutions to increase access to healthy foods and
      physical activity through improvements to the built environment. PHP
      develops tools for training advocates about the relationship between
      the built environment and public health, and provides technical
      assistance for creating and implementing land use policies that
      support healthier communities.

      Duties & Responsibilities:

      • Research and writing on a variety of cutting-edge redevelopment,
      economic development, and land use policy issues
      • Develop best practices around food system planning at a regional and
      local level
      • Research strategies to reinforce health and community engagement
      concerns in transportation planning and climate change legislation
      • Provide research, analysis, and information to strengthen state and
      local laws and policies to create healthy, sustainable communities

      Desired Qualifications:

      • 1st or 2nd year graduate student in city and regional planning or
      public policy is required
      • Familiarity with land use planning processes, including
      transportation, redevelopment, and food system planning
      • Excellent research, analytic, and writing skills
      • Well-organized and detail-oriented
      • Available up to 40 hours/week between May 15th through August 15th,
      2011 (approximately 10 weeks)

      Compensation:

      This is a non-exempt temporary position and the hourly wage is $19.00.

      How to apply:

      To apply for the Summer 2010 Intern position please email all required
      information to jobs@.... Incomplete applications will not be
      considered.

      All completed application packets must be received by 5:00 pm PST on
      Friday, March 18, 2011

      The following are required to be considered for the PHLP Summer 2011 Internship:
      • Resume and Cover letter
      • Writing samples - Please provide, at most, two (2) writing samples.
      • References – Please provide contact information (name, organization,
      email, and phone number) for three (3) references.

      Incomplete applications will not be considered.

      We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer

      NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE

      Firm Name: Public Health Law & Policy
      Firm Website: www.phlpnet.org
      Location: Oakland, CA
      Paid: Paid
      Start Date: May 16, 2011
      Category: Community Development
      Contact Name: Planning for Healthy Places, a project of Public Health
      Law & Policy -----------------------------81661870011367
      Date Submitted: February 25, 2011
      Job Type: Internship
      You are subscribed to email updates from Planning Jobs | Department of
      City and Regional Planning at Berkeley
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now. Email
      delivery powered by Google