Unpaid internship - Oakland - East Bay Housing Organizations - Affordable Housing Intern

  • Asha Weinstein Agrawal
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2011
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Planning Jobs | Department of City and Regional Planning at
      Berkeley <webmaster@...>
      Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM
      Subject: Planning Jobs - Department of City and Regional Planning at Berkeley

      Job Title: Affordable Housing Intern
      affordable housing advocacy coalition serving Alameda and Contra Costa
      Counties. We preserve, protect and expand affordable housing
      opportunities through education, advocacy and coalition building. Our
      dynamic non-profit membership organization includes 300 organizations
      and community leaders advocating for affordable housing development
      and equitable housing policies at the local and regional level. EBHO’s
      broad-based membership includes non-profit affordable housing
      developers, architects, planners, contractors, homeless and housing
      advocates, service providers, fair housing agencies, tenant advocates,
      community and interfaith organizations and activists, clergy and
      congregations, labor unions, environmental organizations, lending
      institutions, intermediaries and policy organizations, and city and
      county agencies and staff. Since our founding in 1984, EBHO has become
      the unifying force in an affordable housing community recognized as
      one of the nation’s most sophisticated and innovative.

      Project Summary:

      EBHO provides an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated and
      creative individual who wants to have an impact on affordable housing
      issues in the East Bay. The intern will work with EBHO staff and
      members to support our education and communications activities,
      especially our 15th Annual Affordable Housing Week, a series of events
      through Alameda and Contra Costa Counties in May. The intern will play
      a substantial role in interviewing residents of affordable housing and
      writing resident stories for our Annual Guidebook published in May to
      coincide with Affordable Housing Week. Other projects are dependent on
      time and need but could include conducting outreach, developing and
      collecting education tools, participating in membership committees and
      coalition work, conducting policy research, and helping to organize
      EBHO events including our State of Housing Symposium. The intern will
      work under the supervision of the Education & Communications Director.
      EBHO is a fast-paced but fun environment, as our small staff works
      with a large network of allies on many issues and campaigns.

      Duties and Responsibilities

      • Interview residents of affordable housing and write profiles of
      their stories to be featured in EBHO’s Annual Affordable Housing
      Guidebook
      • Assist with compiling and checking content for our Affordable
      Housing Guidebook and website. This could include some research and
      writing as well as fact-checking and proofreading.
      • Assist with other education and communications tasks, including
      website updates, drafting written materials, and creating visual
      communications.
      • Assist with outreach and preparations for our 15th Annual Affordable
      Housing Week, a series of events through Contra Costa and Alameda
      County taking place May 6-15. This may include logistics and volunteer
      management, soliciting proclamations from elected officials, helping
      to distribute promotional materials, creatively marketing through
      electronic and social media, etc.

      Compensation

      The position is unpaid, but EBHO will reimburse for travel and other
      necessary expenses.

      Timeframe

      February – May 2011. We are looking for someone who can commit through
      the third week of May, since our major events of the year run from May
      6-15. Time commitment could vary from 4-16 hours a week, depending on
      availability and need.

      Application Process

      Send cover letter and résumé and any questions to Gloria Bruce,
      Education & Communications Director at Gloria@... or the
      following address by January 31:
      East Bay Housing Organizations

      538 9th Street, Suite 200
      Oakland, CA 94607

      Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.

      EBHO is an equal opportunity employer

      Firm Name: East Bay Housing Organizations
      Firm Website: www.ebho.org
      Location: 538 9th Street, Suite 200, Oakland
      Swan's Market in Downtown/Old Oakland, near the 12th Street BART
      Paid: Unpaid
      Start Date: February 1, 2011
      Category: Housing
      Contact Name: Gloria Bruce