Internship - Oakland - Bicycle Facility Planning and Design Interns (part-time)
- The City of Oaklandâs Infrastructure Plans and Programming
Division (IPPD) is seeking to fill one or two part-time paid internship
positions in the Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Program. These unique
internships will provide the successful candidate with an opportunity to
practice and perfect the technical skills needed for a career in the
growing field of bicycle transportation planning, design, and
engineering. The interns will play an integral role in accomplishing the
goals of Oaklandâs Bicycle Master Plan and will work as core
members of the Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Program. (See
www.oaklandbikes.info <http://www.oaklandbikes.info/> for information
about the program).
The pay is $20.61per hour. The successful candidate(s) must be students
during the internship,and are expected to work on average no fewer than
15 hours per week for at least eight (8) months. Interns may work a
maximum of 975 hours per fiscal year(July 1 to June 30). The start date
is anticipated for late February 2011. Applications are due by
Wednesday, January 5, 2011.
Typical duties include:
* Develop and edit maps in ArcView GIS and Adobe Illustrator
* Design bikeways and bike parking installations using AutoCAD
* Estimate project costs
* Maintain and refine database and GIS assets
* Apply bicycle wayfinding and parking guidelines to develop new
* Research and evaluate bicycle treatments and best practices
from throughout the US, and help develop design and policy
* Document field conditions and collect traffic data through
Â· Fluency with GIS software and standard office applications
Â· Comfort working in the field without supervision
Â· Good research and writing skills
Desired additional skills:
Â· Experience with AutoCAD
Â· Knowledge of creating and maintaining databases
Â· Fluency with Adobe software programs including Illustrator,
Photoshop, and InDesign
Classification: This position is an intern classification,
âStudent Traineeâ or âEngineering Intern.â
Employees in these classifications must be enrolled as students.
Experience:No prior job experience is required. Any combination of
experience and education that will provide the required skills is
qualifying. Competitive candidates will have a strong interest in
bicycle facilities and previous experience with GIS and/or AutoCAD.
How to apply
Applications must be received or postmarked no later than Wednesday,
January 5, 2011. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
Applications must include (in the following order):
1. completed checklist (attached);
2. cover letter describing your interest in the position and
3. resume; and
4. completed City application form, available at
Mail above documents to:
Jennifer Stanley, Bicycle & Pedestrian Facilities Coordinator
City of Oakland, Public Works Agency
250 Frank Ogawa Plaza, Suite 4344
Oakland, CA 94612
If you have questions, please contact Jennifer Stanley, Bicycle &
Pedestrian Facilities Coordinator, at 510-238-3983 or
Announcement posted: Friday, December 3, 2011.
Bicycle Facility Planning/Design Intern Application Checklist
NOTE: You must include this checklist with your application in order for
your application to be considered.
2. What school are you attending as a student?
3. What is your course of study (field,degree/certificate)?
4. When do you anticipate completing this course of study (month/year)?
5.My schedule will allow me to work 15 hours (two days) per week on
average for the next eight months:
o Yes. o No. If no, please explain in your cover letter.
6.Rate your fluency with the following computer applications by marking
âXâ in the appropriate box:
Database (Access, Filemaker, etc.)
7. How did you learn about this internship?
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]