Paid GIS Internship in Washington, DC - spring 2011
- A federal internship opportunity with the Census Bureau is available
this spring for students with background in GIS. Accepted students
receive scholarships, a housing fee for furnished housing, and a
Questions? Contact info below. Also, see the full internship
- Rick Kos
Katie McKenzie Program Coordinator
The Washington Center
1333 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036-2205
Direct phone: (202) 238-7729
Fax: (202) 238-7700
U.S. CENSUS BUREAU OPPORTUNITY
Paid Spring 2011 Federal Internship Opportunity Utilizing GIS!
Come join The Washington Center for a 15 week-long internship with the
U.S. Census Bureau and participate in an integrated work and academic
program in Washington, DC! Accepted students receive scholarships
covering the cost of The Washington Center�s Program and housing fee
for living in furnished housing facilities, as well as a living stipend.
1. United States citizenship (please note we can make no exceptions
to this requirement);
2. Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student
focusing in studies related to geographic information systems (GIS),
cartography, or geography with a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
3. Undergraduate students must receive credit for participating in
this program (if you have questions regarding this requirement, please
4. Available for a fifteen-week period beginning January 19th, 2011;
5. Proficiency with GIS software (ArcGIS 9.2 preferred).
6. Applicants should be independent and proactive workers who are
detail-oriented and have experience manipulating data. Knowledge of
GIS is required; knowledge or willingness to learn databases, Google
Earth, ORACLE, Microsoft Access, Adobe Illustrator, etc. is desirable.
Desired Skills or Qualities, in addition to those mentioned above:
1. Experience writing scripts and/or software code using PERL, HTML,
2. Experience using advanced functionality of a database (Oracle,
Access, Excel, etc).
1. Basic map production support
2. Map printing and plotting
3. Interactive map image editing
4. Electronic Map image review
How to Apply:
Students must submit an online application at http://secure.twc.edu
Once they create a username and log in, they should select
�Internship� from the drop-down menu, and select �Apply Now.� Under
the Personal Information tab, students should select �Government
Scholarship Program.� Students should check the Census Bureau box.
Students must submit official transcripts to The Washington Center.
Please note that there is no application fee in order to apply for
this program; if the student is prompted to provide payment
information, they have selected the incorrect application and should
make sure they have selected the Government Scholarship Program. If
they have any concerns, they should contact Josh at joshua.cox@...
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with a deadline to
submit the application by November 27th, 2010. Applicants are
encouraged to submit sooner than the deadline if at all possible, to
allow more than adequate time to be put through a security clearance
The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars
1333 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20036-2205
Direct line: 202-238-7986
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]