FT job - Oakland - Marstel-Day, LLC - GIS Analyst
- GIS Analyst
Posted: 27 Oct 2010 07:33 PM PDT
Job Title: GIS Analyst
Description: Marstel-Day, LLC seeks an entry-level GIS Analyst for our
Oakland office. This is a full-time position in which the incumbent
will support senior staff and planning staff on a variety of projects.
Work requires incumbent to apply independent judgment in managing
priorities and coordinating work activities to meet established
deadlines. Specific duties would include: GIS data management and
creation, project coordination, supportive mapping, data analysis, and
geo-spatial product production. Incumbent is expected to work on one
or more projects providing high quality mapping analysis and technical
assistance under tight deadlines.
Incumbent will be eligible for health and other insurance benefits,
have access to a 401(k) plan and receive a competitive salary based on
education and experience. Posted salary range for this position is
$36,000 – $42,000.
• Performs raster and vector based GIS analysis as needed.
• Develops high quality custom maps and templates.
• Assists with the classification and procurement of new data.
• Gathers, analyzes, and integrates spatial data from staff and
determines how best the information can be displayed using GIS.
• Digitizes map features into ArcMap from hard copy source material.
• Designs and develops project specific GIS procedures requiring
programming of customization of GIS applications.
• Ability to convert data into the GIS from a variety of formats
including CAD, raster images, tabular data, and KML.
• Assists in the development, creation and maintenance of GIS geo databases.
• Responsible for GIS computer administration and support including
software installation and maintenance.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment to independently define,
investigate and resolve mapping problems and conflicts.
• Ability to effectively present and brief mapping analytics and results orally.
Qualifications: Applicant must have:
• Detail orientation, with strong map production skills.
• Accomplished written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience using Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe
InDesign software as they relate to desktop publishing and GIS
o developing knowledge of Visual Basic, Python and other GIS related
scripting language is a plus
o knowledge of habitat conservation, land use management and natural
resources is a plus
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access.
• At least 2000 hours of GIS project-related internship or full-time
employment (or a combination from both)
• A BA/BS degree (A degree with a major in Computer Science, Planning,
Geography, Natural Resources Environmental Science and/or a
Certificate in Geographical Information Systems is plus)
• A strong commitment to a conservation ethic, a strong desire to
identify and support strategies for natural resource conservation, and
a commitment to use green best management practices in the performance
To be considered for the position, applicants must reside in or be
willing to relocate to a federally designated Historically
Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) as a condition of employment (go
to http://sba.gov/hubzone/ for more information on this requirement).
A resume, together with a GIS sample with associated text, and three
professional references are required from all applicants. Go to
http://marstel-day.com/employment.php, fill out the “Information on
Applicants” form and submit your resume and other required information
using the browser buttons provided. You must apply via the website
Firm Name: Marstel-Day, LLC
Firm Website: marstel-day.com
Location: 1736 Franklin Street, Suite 500, Oakland, CA 94612
Start Date: December 1, 2010
Contact Name: Robin Hayden
Contact Email: rhayden@...
Date Submitted: October 27, 2010
Job Type: Permanent