FT job - Sacramento - TransForm - State Transportation Organizer

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2010

      State Transportation Organizer - Full-Time Exempt

      TransForm, a leading environmental and social equity nonprofit, is seeking
      an experienced professional to join our team in a newly created position
      of State Transportation Organizer, a full time exempt position based in

      TransForm works to create world-class public transportation and walkable
      communities in the Bay Area and beyond. We build diverse coalitions,
      influence policy and develop innovative programs to improve the lives of
      all people and protect the environment. We can only achieve this mission
      by working with groups and people representing a broad range of
      backgrounds and perspectives.

      TransForm and our regional coalition partners have helped to win literally
      billions of dollars and groundbreaking policies in support of public
      transportation, smart growth, affordable housing and bicycle and
      pedestrian safety in the Bay Area. TransForm has also launched innovative
      programs that increase the number of children walking and biking safely to
      school and engage people in planning for great communities.

      Over the past two years we have expanded our work to the state level to
      secure increased funding for sustainable, equitable transportation.
      TransForm also co-founded and provides fiscal sponsorship for ClimatePlan,
      a network of leading non-profits working to ensure that California’s laws
      to combat climate change, especially SB 375, also create more walkable
      communities, promote affordable homes and save open space.

      The State Transportation Organizer is a new position that will be
      supervised by TransForm’s State Policy Director. The Organizer will help
      build a statewide network focused on expanding funding for public
      transportation and ensuring that state transportation policies support
      environmental, health and equity goals. The Organizer will work in
      TransForm’s Sacramento office.

      Responsibilities of the State Transportation Organizer will include:

      • Expanding and deepening participation of regional and state allies in
      transportation reform efforts, including labor, community, social justice,
      business and other key stakeholders.
      • Developing fact sheets, action alerts and other materials for key
      • Coordinating efforts with ClimatePlan, Transportation For America and
      other partners.
      • Representing TransForm at events, hearings and in direct communications
      with decision-makers.
      • Supporting TransForm’s State Policy Director on media and communications
      strategy and related policy advocacy.
      • Maintaining organizational and networking infrastructure, including the
      database and distribution of materials to allies, setting up meetings,
      arranging conference calls, etc.

      • Demonstrated experience with organizing, coalition–building and advocacy
      • Excellent writing, group presentation and meeting facilitation skills.
      • Experience working with and building consensus among a diverse range of
      • Strong project management skills and an ability to manage multiple
      assignments, set measurable objectives, prioritize work and ensure
      partners meet shared deadlines.
      • Excellent strategic thinking, planning skills and political instincts.
      • Experience in transportation policy, planning or related field a plus.
      • High proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
      • Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
      • Passion for making positive social change in the world.
      • Open-minded and flexible, with both a sense of humor and humility.

      This is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt position with competitive
      salary, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes health and
      dental insurance, generous vacation time and an exciting, team-oriented
      work environment. TransForm also administers an employee contribution 403b
      retirement plan and contributes to the Commuter Check program. Our staff
      is focused on making positive change in the world, celebrates diversity
      and is committed to being intentionally inclusive in all of our
      relationships. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color
      and women are strongly encouraged to apply.

      Interested individuals are invited to email a short, descriptive letter of
      interest and resume to:

      STOjob@.... Please address within your cover letter how your
      experiences in organizing and advocacy would make you a strong candidate
      for this position and note if you have any experience in transportation
      policy, planning, or a related field.

      Attachments should be in Word or PDF format, titled as follows:
      lastname_firstname_resume.doc OR lastname_firstname_resume.pdf
      lastname_firstname_letter.doc OR lastname_firstname_letter.pdf

      Please, no faxes or mailed hard copies. This position is open until
      filled. To see if the position is still available, go to
      www.TransFormCA.org and check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section
      of our website.

      First Posted October 8, 2010