FT job - Sacramento - TransForm - State Transportation Organizer
State Transportation Organizer - Full-Time Exempt
TransForm, a leading environmental and social equity nonprofit, is seeking
an experienced professional to join our team in a newly created position
of State Transportation Organizer, a full time exempt position based in
TransForm works to create world-class public transportation and walkable
communities in the Bay Area and beyond. We build diverse coalitions,
influence policy and develop innovative programs to improve the lives of
all people and protect the environment. We can only achieve this mission
by working with groups and people representing a broad range of
backgrounds and perspectives.
TransForm and our regional coalition partners have helped to win literally
billions of dollars and groundbreaking policies in support of public
transportation, smart growth, affordable housing and bicycle and
pedestrian safety in the Bay Area. TransForm has also launched innovative
programs that increase the number of children walking and biking safely to
school and engage people in planning for great communities.
Over the past two years we have expanded our work to the state level to
secure increased funding for sustainable, equitable transportation.
TransForm also co-founded and provides fiscal sponsorship for ClimatePlan,
a network of leading non-profits working to ensure that California’s laws
to combat climate change, especially SB 375, also create more walkable
communities, promote affordable homes and save open space.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The State Transportation Organizer is a new position that will be
supervised by TransForm’s State Policy Director. The Organizer will help
build a statewide network focused on expanding funding for public
transportation and ensuring that state transportation policies support
environmental, health and equity goals. The Organizer will work in
TransForm’s Sacramento office.
Responsibilities of the State Transportation Organizer will include:
• Expanding and deepening participation of regional and state allies in
transportation reform efforts, including labor, community, social justice,
business and other key stakeholders.
• Developing fact sheets, action alerts and other materials for key
• Coordinating efforts with ClimatePlan, Transportation For America and
• Representing TransForm at events, hearings and in direct communications
• Supporting TransForm’s State Policy Director on media and communications
strategy and related policy advocacy.
• Maintaining organizational and networking infrastructure, including the
database and distribution of materials to allies, setting up meetings,
arranging conference calls, etc.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
• Demonstrated experience with organizing, coalition–building and advocacy
• Excellent writing, group presentation and meeting facilitation skills.
• Experience working with and building consensus among a diverse range of
• Strong project management skills and an ability to manage multiple
assignments, set measurable objectives, prioritize work and ensure
partners meet shared deadlines.
• Excellent strategic thinking, planning skills and political instincts.
• Experience in transportation policy, planning or related field a plus.
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Passion for making positive social change in the world.
• Open-minded and flexible, with both a sense of humor and humility.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt position with competitive
salary, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes health and
dental insurance, generous vacation time and an exciting, team-oriented
work environment. TransForm also administers an employee contribution 403b
retirement plan and contributes to the Commuter Check program. Our staff
is focused on making positive change in the world, celebrates diversity
and is committed to being intentionally inclusive in all of our
relationships. TransForm is an equal opportunity employer. People of color
and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals are invited to email a short, descriptive letter of
interest and resume to:
STOjob@.... Please address within your cover letter how your
experiences in organizing and advocacy would make you a strong candidate
for this position and note if you have any experience in transportation
policy, planning, or a related field.
Attachments should be in Word or PDF format, titled as follows:
lastname_firstname_resume.doc OR lastname_firstname_resume.pdf
lastname_firstname_letter.doc OR lastname_firstname_letter.pdf
Please, no faxes or mailed hard copies. This position is open until
filled. To see if the position is still available, go to
www.TransFormCA.org and check if it is still listed in the “Jobs” section
of our website.
First Posted October 8, 2010
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]