TransForm Silicon Valley Internship (Volunteer)
- TransForm Silicon Valley Internship (Volunteer)
Community Engagement for Improved Transportation Options along the Alum Rock
TransForm is looking for an intern to work with TransForm’s Silicon Valley
Community Planner to help with two interrelated projects:
- Involving the community in the planning of the Alum Rock Corridor Bus
Rapid Transit (BRT) project; the first operationalBRT in the Bay Area. BRT is a
set of cutting-edge measures and strategies such as bus-only lanes, traffic
signal priority, and real-time bus arrival information that can achieve many of
the benefits of rail transit but at a fraction of the cost. Learn more about BRT
- Mobilizing residents and other stakeholders in the Five
Wounds/Brookwood Terrace Neighborhood in San Jose to advocate for improvements
that will make their neighborhood more bicycle and pedestrian friendly.
TransForm works to create world-class public transportation and walkable
communities by building diverse coalitions, influencing policy, and developing
innovative programs. TransForm was recently voted the #1 non-profit organization
in the Bay Area in fighting climate change. To learn more about TransForm, visit
Internship Description – This is a part-time (10-20 hr/wk) unpaid internship.
- The fall semester internship will start September 2010 and run through
- The internship is part-time and hours are relatively flexible (our
office is openMonday-Friday 9-5pm). Total internship hours for university
students maybe tailored to your department’s requirements.
- This is a great opportunity for someone interested in urban planning,
political science, environmental, and/or social justice issues. Interns will
gain valuable community engagement skills and transportation planning knowledge.
- Strong communication skills are required. Proficiency in Spanish or
Vietnamese is preferred. Word processing, graphic design, community organizing,
and group facilitation skills are highly desirable.
- Interns are supervised by TransForm’s Community Planner and work out of
our downtown San Jose office. Our Silicon Valley office is located one block
from San Jose State University and is very accessible via public transit.
TransForm’s Silicon Valley intern will help involve merchants, neighborhood
residents, and other key stakeholders in the planning of BRT along Santa Clara
St and Alum Rock Ave in San Jose so that the project is well-designed tomeet
community needs. There will also be opportunities to assist in mobilizing
residents in the Five Wounds/Brookwood Terrace neighborhood in advocating for
streetscape improvements to promote walking and bicycling along the BRT
corridor. Tasks mayinclude:
- Making phone calls and conducting door-to-door outreach.
- Producing outreach materials and writing short newsletter articles.
- Translating materials into Spanish or Vietnamese.
- Helping to organize meetings and workshops with interested
organizations and stakeholders.
To Apply: Submit a resume and a cover letter describing your interest and
qualifications to Chris Lepe atCLepe@.... For questions,
Open until September 30th, 2010
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]