Conference: "Podcar City, San José – Innovating Sustainable Communities" (San Jose; October 28/29)
- ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 09/02/2010 03:08 PM -----
The City of San Jose, the International Institute for Sustainable
Transportation, and Mineta Transportation Institute invite you to attend
Podcar City, San José – Innovating Sustainable Communities, in San José,
Podcars, also known as Personal Rapid Transit systems (PRT), are a new
transit technology that blends the convenience of the personal automobile
with the environmental benefits of mass transit. PRT offers the potential
to fundamentally change the way communities deliver transit services and
integrate land use and transportation. But, as with anything new, its
introduction raises a number of questions.
In 2010, three Podcar or Personal Rapid Transit systems began operation in
locations around the globe. A handful of other cities have expressed their
intent to build similar systems. Come hear from owners, would-be owners,
and experts on:
· PRT applications in Asia and Europe and, soon, the U.S.
· Technological and conceptual advances in materials, modeling, sensors
and control systems
· PRT design concepts and business models
· How Podcars can complement traditional transit and facilitate smart
· Technical, financial and policy challenges—and how to overcome them
Who Should Attend: Public works, transportation, airport and planning
directors; engineering and technical professionals; land use and
transportation planners; researchers and educators, policy makers and
environmental leaders, regulatory officials and energy experts, designers,
architects and finance experts.
Early-bird registration ends Sept. 24
We hope to see you there.
San José Department of Transportation
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]