Internship Announcement: Public Health Law and Policy|Planning for Healthy Places

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2010
      Dear SJSU MUP friends and students,

      Please see below my signature an internship announcement with Public
      Health Law and Policy, Oakland.

      Best regards,

      Dayana

      Dayana Salazar
      Executive Director
      CommUniverCity San José
      www.communivercitysanjose.org

      Professor and Chair
      Urban and Regional Planning Department
      San José State University
      San José, CA 95192-0185
      Phone: (408) 924-5854
      Fax: (408) 924-5872
      dayana.salazar@...
      www.sjsu.edu/urbanplanning

      From: "Pilar Lorenzana-Campo" <pcampo@...>
      Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:34:55 -0700
      Subject: PHLP Fall 2010 Internship

      Hi everyone:

      We’ve just posted a job description for our Fall 2010 Internship! The
      posting is accessible via à
      http://www.phlpnet.org/phlp/internship-planning-healthy-places

      We are looking for a 1st or 2nd year graduate student with a background in
      transportation planning, community development, or redevelopment. If you
      know a planning student who has the smarts, the commitment, and the desire
      to make healthier communities a reality please share the announcement and
      link below.

      We are eager to have this new person start quickly; applications are due
      September 17th.

      Thanks everyone, we appreciate your help!

      Best,
      Pilar

      Pilar Lorenzana-Campo, MEP
      Planning for Healthy Places
      Public Health Law & Policy
      2201 Broadway, Suite 502
      Oakland, CA 94612

      [p] 510.302.3396
      [c] 510.285.7823
      [f] 510.444.8253
      pcampo@...
      www.healthyplanning.org
      The information in this message is provided for informational purposes
      only and does not constitute legal advice. Public Health Law & Policy and
      its projects do not enter into attorney-client relationships.
      About PHLP
      Public Health Law & Policy (PHLP) focuses on improving the public’s health
      by drawing on the
      expertise of an inter-disciplinary team of lawyers, urban planners, and
      public health professionals.
      PHLP works with community-based organizations, local public health and
      planning departments, schools, elected officials, government attorneys,
      and private counsel to create groundbreaking policy solutions to critical
      public health challenges. Staff attorneys provide comprehensive training,
      technical assistance, and model policies to advance public health policy.
      Currently, PHLP is funded to work in the following topic areas: tobacco
      control, childhood obesity prevention, healthy planning, and climate
      change.
      Position Description
      PHLP is seeking an intern for Fall 2010 to work with our healthy planning
      team. Planning for Healthy Places (PHP) explores community planning
      solutions to increase access to healthy foods and physical activity
      through improvements to the built environment. PHP develops tools for
      training advocates about the relationship between the built environment
      and public health, and provides technical assistance for creating and
      implementing land use policies that support healthier communities.
      Duties and responsibilities include:
      Research and writing on a variety of cutting-edge redevelopment, economic
      development, and land use policy issues
      Research around best and emerging practices around transportation planning
      at a regional and local level;
      Literature review on health related impacts of public transportation
      infrastructure;
      Provide research, analysis, and information to strengthen state and local
      laws and policies to create healthy, sustainable communities.
      Desired requirements are:
      1st or 2nd year graduate student in city and regional planning or public
      policy is required
      Familiarity with transportation planning and land use planning processes
      Excellent research, analytic, and writing skills
      Well-organized and detail-oriented
      Available up to 20 hours/week between October 1st through December 15,
      2010 (approximately 11 weeks)
      Compensation
      This is an non-exempt temporary position and the hourly wage is $19.00.
      How to apply
      To apply for the Fall 2010 Intern position please email all required
      information to info@.... Incomplete applications will not
      be considered.
      All completed application packets must be received by 5:00 pm PST on
      September 17, 2010
      The following are required to be considered for the PHLP Fall 2010
      Internship:
      Employment Application Form (PDF)
      Writing samples – Please provide, at most, two (2) writing samples.
      References – Please provide contact information (name, organization,
      email, and phone number) for three (3) references.
      NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
      We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer.