Presentation on Land Use & Public Health - 8/13 11am Santa Clara

  • ez063156
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2010
      This email serves as a reminder of the next Housing Action Coalition meeting, Friday, August 13th, 11am to 1pm at the Santa Clara Central Park Library, (2635 Homestead Road, Santa Clara). This month, our guest speaker will focus on the link between human health and land use.

      Did you know that transit use is associated with 21% more steps per day than automobile use? That the walking associated with transit use is estimated to save $5,500/person over their life in obesity-related medical costs? SaraT (ST) Mayer is director of the Health Policy and Planning Division for the San Mateo County Health System. Her work is dedicated to eliminating health inequities by partnering with communities, cities and decision makers in addressing the environments which shape health. She will be presenting on the connection between land-use and health and talk about why a local Health Department cares about housing density, neighborhood retail and transit oriented development. She will talk about some of the major health issues that have resulted from poor land-use planning, what we need to do to address these issues and provide examples of what one local Health Department in San Mateo County is already doing in this area.

      As well, please note that there are a couple upcoming hearings on HAC endorsed development proposals, Presidio El Camino in Santa Clara and Ohlone Towers in San Jose. We'll hear an update on these two proposals. Be prepared to volunteer!

      Contact:

      Nick Rajkovich
      Housing and Community Development Associate
      Silicon Valley Leadership Group
      o: (408) 501-7873 m: (408) 858-9226