Lecture by Don Weden: "Cities for All Ages: Land Use Planning and Our Aging Population" (7/28, San Carlos)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2010
      [From http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/calendar.asp?eventid=1757]

      Cities for All Ages: Land Use Planning and Our Aging Population

      Date: Wednesday, 7/28/2010
      Start Time: 7:00 pm

      Event Type: Workshop
      Sponsor: Chapter / Committee

      Location: San Carlos Library, 610 Elm Street, San Carlos.

      Speaker: Don Weden, Retired Principal Planner, Santa Clara County
      Planning.

      Santa Clara County is about to be hit by a "senior tsunami." In less than
      20 years, 1/4 of our county's adult population will be over 65, as the
      Baby Boom generation ages. Many will be non-drivers — living in cities
      that were mostly designed around the automobile.

      What can we do to adapt our cities to assure that our growing senior
      population — and others in our community — can live active, interesting,
      and productive lives, without having to drive or own a car? Learn how
      creating green, "senior-friendly" communities can contribute to our
      economic, environmental, and social sustainability.

      For more information, contact Megan Fluke at 650-390-9604. RSVP (
      http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/bcfc_events.asp)