Along Early San Mateo County Trails

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2003
      Last night at SCU, over 110 people attended "Reconstructing Historical
      Landscapes in Northern Santa Clara County", sponsored by their Environmental
      Studies Institute (they now offer a major in Env.Studies, previously only a
      minor - their obviously is strong interest in this field at their
      university.
      I left the presenter my card and asked that they inform me if a tape will be
      available of the presentation.
      Irvin
      March 15, 2003,SATURDAY

      Along Early San Mateo County Trails

      2:00 p.m. at the San Mateo County History Museum, 777 Hamilton St., Redwood
      City

      In the San Mateo County landscape, the network of trails and roads that
      arose from the pathfinding

      of explorers and the gradual introduction of wheeled traffic was ancestral
      to the present system, and

      provided the stage for most of the area's subsequent history. Descriptions,
      maps, and photographs,

      when critically examined in this light, tend to give new insight into major
      past events, in addition to

      showing the nature of the original countryside and the great changes that
      have overtaken it. Attention

      will be paid to the relation between present-day El Camino Real and the Anza
      expedition route, now

      commemorated by the National Park Service as the 1200-mile Juan Bautista de
      Anza National Historic

      Trail.

      For more information see www.sfei.org or contact meredith_kaplan@...
      (510.817.1438).

      Sponsored by the Santa Clara University Environmental Studies Institute, the
      National

      Park Service Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail, San Mateo County
      History

      Museum, and the San Francisco Estuary Institute Historical Ecology Program.

      Irvin Dawid or presenters,

      Since this time conflicts with graduate classes, but the topic is very
      interesting and not easy to access, it would be wonderful if the event could
      be recorded, and a file made available with the visual, and transcript or
      audio, information via this site or a web link.

      Regards,

      Mark Roest