Reminder of Sustainability Matters Lecture: Urban Ecology: The Others Among Us/ April 7, 12-1:30 p.m.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 10:27 AM
      Reminder: the seventh Sustainability Matters monthly lecture, sponsored by
      the Office of the President, is this Wednesday!

      Urban Ecology: The Others Among Us
      Wednesday, April 7th, noon-1:30pm. Please arrive early so we can
      begin promptly at noon.
      Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, Room 225

      (Organic and locally-sourced tasting plates of food will be served)

      After six Sustainability Matters forums that have focused primarily on
      the
      human dimensions of sustainability, this event centers on other species
      that
      co-exist with us in an increasingly complex urban environment. At this
      event,
      attendees will learn about some unique species and their associated
      habitats
      that we can find right in our backyards. They will also gain greater
      insight
      into the relationship between the natural and built environments.
      Specific
      cases to be discussed include peregrine falcons, burrowing owls,
      steelhead
      trout, and urban forests. Audience members will be encouraged to think
      about
      their own personal relationship with the natural environment and to
      consider
      taking steps that at the individual and institutional levels preserve
      important urban habitats.

      Our presenters will be:

      Lynne Trulio, Ph.D--Chair, Department of Environmental Studies
      Glenn Stewart--Coordinator, Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group
      Roger Castillo--Volunteer, Guadalupe-Coyote Resource Conservation
      District
      Cheryl Strong--Salt Ponds Wildlife Biologist, Don Edwards San Francisco
      Bay National Wildlife Refuge
      Monica Nanez--AmeriCorps Program Coordinator, Our City Forest

      Based on your involvement with campus sustainability we thought this
      event
      would be of particular interest to you. Please encourage interested
      friends and
      co-workers members to attend by making an announcement at your next
      department meeting. We had about 160 attendees at our last event, so many
      thanks for helping us get the
      word out.

      Think Spartan,
      SJSU Sustainability