Urban Planning Study Abroad in China Course

  • Riad El-Bdour
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2010
      An interesting sounding class from Theresa.
      Hope everyone is having a good week.

      To whom it may concern:

      Below is a course description for a study abroad class in China from the University of Florida. I took a simliar course from this wonderful professor Zhong-Ren Peng a few years ago for an elective in the master's of urban planning program at San Jose State.

      This is a very busy and enjoyable class. The professor grew up in China and is a wonderful leader. I highly recommend this. The deadline has been extended until tomorrow to fill out an application. I suspect it could be extended a little if he were contacted immediately.

      Theresa Alster
      Dec. 2008 graduate

      Summer 2010

      Course Number: URP 6905

      6 graduate credits from University of Florida

      Course Title

      : Urban Planning and Design Issues in China

      Prof. Zhong-Ren Peng (Office: ARCH 431; Tel.: 352-392-0997, ext. 429, Email: zpeng@...)

      This faculty-lead study abroad program will introduce students to planning and design issues and challenges facing the rapidly growing cities in China. It will allow the students to participate in an actual planning/design case study in a Chinese city. The students will have an opportunity to work with planning students and faculty at Tongji University at Shanghai and/or Huazhong University of Science & Technology (located at Wuhan, China). The course will combine lecture, observation and case study approach in a workshop format. Travel and study will take place in three distinct cities of China: Beijing, the ancient yet thriving capital that presents the challenge of preserving its past and designing the future; Shanghai, a truly global city well known as being the "Paris of the East" which reveals its ambition of becoming the world mega-city of the future; and Shenzhen, a new modern city that was born out of the rice field in the 1980s, or Wuhan, a beautiful industrial city located at the middle of Yangtze River that is transforming itself into the "Silicon Valley" of China with a focus on fiber optics. The main planning issues to be examined include:

      • How do the rapid population growth and economic development affect China's urban expansion and sprawl?
      • How does rapid urbanization affect the demand for housing, transportation and other urban infrastructure?
      • How do rapid motorization, income growth and city expansion affect transportation planning, traffic management, and environmental planning?
      • How to preserve the city history while design the future?
      • How to conduct planning in a rapidly changing environment?
      A design studio will be conducted at either Tongji University or Huazhong University of Science and Technology. The studio will focus on addressing a real planning issue and come up with suggested solutions. The students will work collaboratively with students and faculty at a Chinese university, either Tongji University or Huazhong University of Science and Technology for summer 2010.

      I have already lined up with projects in China for a joint design/planning studio with students and faculty at Huazhong University of Science and Technology, one of the leading planning program in China. In addition, we'll have another project in Shenzhen. With the additional visit to Shanghai Expo (http://en.expo2010.cn/) and the Olympic park in Beijing (http://en.beijing2008.cn/venues/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Green), it would be a lifelong experience.

      Please let me know if you have any questions. We will close the registration by Friday (3/19).

      Zhong-Ren Peng, Ph.D.
      Professor and Chair
      Department of Urban and Regional Planning
      College of Design, Construction and Planning
      University of Florida
      PO Box 115706
      Gainesville, FL 32611