RARE AmeriCorps program - community development in rural Oregon

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2010
      [For more information on this program, see the website at
      http://rare.uoregon.edu/ - AWA]

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 03/08/2010 09:38 PM -----

      My name is Erin Malone, I am writing from the Resource Assistance for
      Rural Environments (RARE) program housed in the University of Oregon’s
      Community Service Center and affiliated with the Planning, Public Policy
      and Management (PPPM) Department. RARE is a unique AmeriCorps program
      serving Oregon’s rural communities through economic and community
      development and natural resource planning. We are in the midst of our
      recruitment for the 2010-2011 year and are looking for potential
      participants and will appreciate it if you bring this opportunity to the
      attention of interested students and recent graduates of your program.

      Each year RARE places 20 to 25 participants in rural communities across
      Oregon to serve for 11 months on community building projects with local
      host organizations. Since its founding in 1994, RARE has placed more than
      350 participants from across the U.S. in Oregon communities. We seek
      participants with a variety of educational and geographic experiences and
      backgrounds.

      RARE participants receive extensive training, a living stipend of $1,500
      per month, medical and dental insurance, an educational award that can be
      used to toward future schooling or to help pay off existing loans, and
      graduate level planning credits at the University of Oregon. Participants
      also gain tremendous field-based experience to complement their classroom
      learning while helping to develop capacity in small, underserved
      communities. I hope you will forward the below electronic flyer and
      attached PDF to any students, departmental list-serves, and anyone
      interested in a RARE experience.

      If you have any questions please call me at 541.346.0259.

      Regards,
      Erin