Sustainability Matters Lecture, 2/17: A Way Forward for Water: Understanding Water Supply, Use, and Reuse

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2010
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
      Dear Colleagues,

      I write to invite you to the fifth Sustainability Matters monthly lecture,
      sponsored by the Office of the President.

      A Way Forward for Water: Understanding Water Supply, Use, and Reuse

      Wednesday, February 17th noon-1:00pm
      Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, Room 225
      (Organic and locally-sourced tasting plates of food will be served)

      At this event you will learn about the path water takes from falling as
      snow in the Sierra Nevadas--to coming out of your kitchen sink tap--to its
      treatment and possible reuse as recycled water for irrigation. Our expert
      panelists
      will speak on the major water issues facing residents of the San Francisco
      Bay Area. You will also hear about the University's upcoming plans to
      increase use of recycled water for campus irrigation. And on the personal
      level, you'll learn about actions you can take to conserve water inside
      and outside your home, safely reuse greywater, and set up your own
      rainwater collection system. Attendees will also hear about a campus-wide
      bottled water versus tap water test test taking place later this month.

      Our presenters will be:

      Adam Bayer (Director, Energy and Utilities, SJSU)
      Tara Hui (Urban Farmer, Greywater Action)
      Eric Rosenblum (Director, South Bay Water Recyling)
      Katherine Cushing (Sustainability Director & Associate Professor of
      Environmental Studies, SJSU)
      Sarah Minick (Stormwater Planner, San Francisco Public Utilities
      Commission)
      Sandy Oblonsky (Water Utilities Planning, Santa Clara Valley Water
      District)

      Please encourage your department faculty and majors to attend by passing
      this announcement along. To decrease paper use, we are suggesting that
      faculty utilize the PeopleSoft function on their class rosters to notify
      their students via e-mail, as well as announce the event in class. For
      your reference, an event flyer is attached.

      Many thanks for your help,

      Katherine Kao Cushing, Ph.D.
      Special Assistant to the President and Director of Sustainability
      Office of the President
      San José State University
      One Washington Square
      San José, CA 95192-0002