Invitation to 2/17 Sustainability Matters Workshop, A Way Forward for Water: Understanding Water Supply, Use, and Reuse

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2010
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
      Dear Colleagues,

      I write to invite you to the fifth Sustainability Matters monthly lecture,
      sponsored by the Office of the President.

      A Way Forward for Water: Understanding Water Supply, Use, and Reuse

      Wednesday, February 17th noon-1:00pm
      Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, Room 225
      (Organic and locally-sourced tasting plates of food will be served)

      At this event you will learn about the path water takes from falling as
      snow in the Sierra Nevadas--to coming out of your kitchen sink tap--to its
      treatment and possible reuse as recycled water for irrigation. Our expert
      panelists
      will speak on the major water issues facing residents of the San Francisco
      Bay Area. You will also hear about the University's upcoming plans to
      increase use of recycled water for campus irrigation. And on the personal
      level, you'll learn about actions you can take to conserve water inside
      and outside your home, safely reuse greywater, and set up your own
      rainwater collection system. Attendees will also hear about a campus-wide
      bottled water versus tap water test test taking place later this month.

      Our presenters will be:

      Adam Bayer (Director, Energy and Utilities, SJSU)
      Tara Hui (Urban Farmer, Greywater Action)
      Eric Rosenblum (Director, South Bay Water Recyling)
      Katherine Cushing (Sustainability Director & Associate Professor of
      Environmental Studies, SJSU)
      Sarah Minick (Stormwater Planner, San Francisco Public Utilities
      Commission)

      Based on your involvement with campus sustainability we thought this event
      would be of particular interest to you. Please encourage all SJSU
      students, faculty, and staff you know to attend by passing this
      announcement along. We encourage you to use the PeopleSoft function on
      your class rosters to send an e-mail to your students letting them know
      about the event, offer extra credit for attending the event, and announce
      the event in class. An event flyer is attached. We had about 250-300
      attendees at our last event, so many thanks for helping us get the word
      out.

      Hope to see you later this month!

      Katherine

      Katherine Kao Cushing, Ph.D.
      Special Assistant to the President and Director of Sustainability
      Office of the President
      San José State University
      One Washington Square
      San José, CA 95192-0002