environmental internships with the SVMG (unpaid)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2003
      Interested in an internship with the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group
      (SVMG)? The SVMG is an influential association of major employers in the
      valley, and it has interests in a number of planning-related issues. The
      director of the environmental program there is currently looking for
      volunteers to work on several different projects related to environmental
      issues, some of which you might be able to turn into a 298 project. If
      interested, contact Margaret Bruce (info below).

      Asha
      __________________

      If there are any students you know of who are especially interested in
      environmental policy issues, please have them contact me. I am very
      interested in finding some volunteer interns (who I am hoping could get
      course credit for working with me) to help me in the following areas:
      * Tracking environmental legislation (this includes issue research,
      writing
      legislative briefs, and communicating with legislative staff) (one person,
      ~
      two days/wk, more would be fine)
      * Tracking environmental regulatory changes at the state and federal level
      regarding:
      > Air Pollution: emissions, air toxics, permits, offsets, new source
      review,
      CO2 and GHG issues, etc.
      > Water Quality: storm water runnoff - municipal and industrial permits,
      TMDL developments, local POTW permit renewals, water efficiency and
      recycled
      water issues, endocrine disruptors and other emerging issues
      > Hazardous materials/wastes/solid waste: Universal wastes, DTSC
      regulatory
      authority, consumer electronics, recycling, waste minimization, pollution
      prevention, hazardous materials security, reporting requirements, etc.

      This last category could be two or three part-time folks (at least two
      days/week each)

      SVMG interns also work on planning committee meetings and special events
      and
      usually take on a "resume' project" while here. This is typically
      "owning"
      an event, a research work, maintaining a program (like the environmental
      newsletter), or similar BIG project. Although we can't pay our intern
      coordinators, we provide lots of mentoring and support and we do try to
      make
      the experience an enriching and valuable one that can lead to other great
      opportunities.

      Margaret Bruce
      Director, Environmental Programs
      Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group