City Hall Fellowship program

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2010
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.

      [From http://www.cityhallfellows.org/Overview.html. Note that
      applications are due March 10, 2010 ]

      City Hall Fellows gives America's best and brightest recent college
      graduates firsthand experience in using local government to drive social
      change. Our Fellows function as full-time city employees, not as interns,
      consultants or observers. In contrast to existing means for engaging new
      talent in civic issues – ad-hoc, part-time, short-term government
      internships, programs for MPA/MPP graduates and mid-career programs for
      local business leaders – City Hall Fellows engages future leaders at the
      most pivotal point in their career development: the year after college
      graduation. Unlike typical leadership and internship programs, City Hall
      Fellows does not simply trot out city officials to “talk at” our Fellows.
      Rather, our Fellows participate in a structured, year-long, quasi-academic
      exploration of how local governments function and why they function as
      they do, complete with intensive service projects through which Fellows
      try their hands at policy evaluation and policy-making. Throughout, our
      Fellows experience how their efforts directly impact their local
      community.

      By energizing more new young talent to enter the local public sector each
      year, City Hall Fellows is initiating a snowball effect that will change
      both the culture and the perception of government work as well as the
      caliber of people choosing to work for cities. The efficient, effective
      local public sector that results will improve the quality of life for all
      Americans.