Call for papers: "Toward a Just Metropolis" (San Francisco Bay Area; June 16-20, 2010)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2010
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.

      Architects/Designers/Planners for Social Responsibility(ADPSR), New
      Village Press, Association for Community Design (ACD), The Center for the
      Living City

      www.justmetropolis.org

      Call for Proposals - Deadline March 1, 2010

      Presentations, Posters and Workshops

      As cities and towns around the world grapple with the impacts of multiple
      and concurrent crises, progressive planners, urbanists, activists, and
      citizens face the challenge of transforming crises into opportunities to
      advance profound changes in the way we plan, build, design, live in, and
      govern our cities.

      We invite submissions addressing, but not limited to, the following
      questions: How are today's crises impacting cities and transforming
      contemporary debates about justice? What possible futures emerge as cities
      and local communities respond to rapid economic, political, demographic,
      and environmental change? What is a just distribution of local, national,
      and global responsibilities? What possibilities and/or responsibilities
      will move us toward a more just metropolis? How do we collaborate to
      achieve change towards social justice, equity, better living conditions,
      and the right to the metropolis? What innovative ideas can crises prompt
      in the quest for a just and inclusive metropolis? And how do we get there?

      Submission could be in the form of workshops, panel discussions,
      paper/project presentations, and posters. We encourage the grouping of
      papers in pre-organized sessions but reserve the right to realign papers
      once proposals have been accepted. The conference will feature a special
      reception for posters, during which authors will display and discuss their
      work one-on-one. We encourage collaboration across disciplines and
      communities.

      DEADLINE: All submissions are due by March 1, 2010

      Applicants will be notified within a month of submission. Our review
      committee will begin work as soon as proposals are submitted, so
      interested participants are encouraged to submit proposals before the
      deadline. All participants in sessions - including local panelists - are
      required to register for the conference.

      SESSION TYPES: We have identified four types of sessions, which are
      described below. If you have an idea for a different format, i.e. a film
      or art session, you will have the option to choose "other" on the abstract
      submission form.

      Paper/Project Presentations – These sessions are designed for people to
      present their research, projects, ideas, accomplishments and
      failures. Individual presentations should be limited to 15
      minutes. Qualifying presentations will be grouped together based on
      subject, geography or other thematic considerations. Paper/project
      sessions will be between 1 and 1.5 hours, and all authors should be
      present for the full duration of their session, to allow for audience Q&A.

      Panels – Panels may be a collection of individual papers and projects or a
      panel facilitated by a moderator. Priority will be given to panels that
      reflect diversity of opinions, backgrounds and geography. Panels must
      have a minimum of three and a maximum of five panelists. The panel
      organizer must submit ONE abstract on behalf of the entire panel. The
      abstract should include the title, purpose, and the names of the panelists
      and the moderator. Qualifying panel discussions will be between 1 and 1.5
      hours and should leave room for Q&A. If you would like us to help identify
      an outside moderator/discussant, please indicate so in your submission.

      Participatory Workshops – The goal of a participatory workshop is the
      involvement of ALL workshop participants in a discussion or other exercise
      designed to learn, communicate, debate, etc. Workshops can be led by a
      single person, although workshops led by a diverse range of people will
      receive priority. “Presenting” by the workshop leader/s should be
      limited. Workshop proposals should include the title and purpose of the
      workshop, the names of all presenters/leaders, and should indicate how
      leaders intend to involve others in the workshop. Workshops will be
      between 1 and 1.5 hours and will take place in classroom-sized rooms,
      unless special arrangements are made. Please indicate if the workshop
      will require any special arrangements for space, scheduling, etc.

      Posters - Posters emphasize the visual communication of ideas and are an
      excellent way to present one's research, designs or project outside of a
      formal session. The conference will feature a special reception for
      posters, during which authors will present and discuss their work
      one-on-one, and the posters will be on display in the main conference site
      during the classroom sessions on Friday June 18th and Saturday June 19th.
      Poster abstracts should include the title, purpose, names of all
      authors/presenters and preliminary description or design of the poster.

      Other – We enthusiastically invite the submission of proposals for other
      presentation formats, such as film, installations, project exhibitions,
      student work, etc. Abstracts in this category must include the title,
      purpose, names of presenters/authors, description of the work to be
      presented, and any required special arrangements (space, scheduling,
      etc.).

      SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS

      Presenters/authors must first submit an abstract-length proposal of
      approximately 250-400 words. Proposals must also include:
      Title
      Purpose
      Key words (minimum of 1, maximum of 5)
      Abstract (250-400 words)
      Name(s) of all authors, presenters, panelists, workshop leaders, etc.
      Name(s) of suggested discussant(s), for pre-organized sessions and panels
      only
      Special arrangements (space requirements, scheduling, etc.)

      To submit an abstract, clink on the link below, which will take you to an
      offsite abstract submission system which we are using to manage
      submissions.

      Abstract Submission Page:
      http://www.justmetropolis.org/home/call_for_papers_and_presentations

      Please direct any questions about proposal submissions to Kate Ervin
      (HunterMUP at gmail.com). We look forward to having you participate in the
      Just Metropolis!