FT job - Oakland - TransForm - Land Use Program Director
- Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
Land Use Program Director
Location: Oakland, California, 94612, United States
Posted on: January 21, 2010
Category: Planning / Land Use
Experience: 5-7 years
BACKGROUND: TransForm works to create world class public transportation
and walkable communities in the Bay Area and beyond. We build diverse
coalitions, influence policy, and develop innovative programs to improve
the lives of all people and protect the environment. We can only achieve
this by working with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, abilities,
Starting in 2006, TransForm co-founded and now coordinates the Great
Communities Collaborative (GCC), which brings together over twenty
partners to ensure that communities across the Bay Area have the tools,
training and assistance they need to participate effectively in planning
vibrant, sustainable and equitable communities.
With the passage of California's ground-breaking climate change
legislation (such as SB 375), this work is only becoming more important.
Supportive local plans are vital to the development of the comprehensive
regional transportation and land use plan required by SB 375.
ABOUT THE POSITION: A newly-created position, the Land Use Program
Director will lead TransForm's land use team's work in the Great
• Lead and manage TransForm's four-person land use team, providing
strategic direction and maintaining strong lines of communication and
coordination among team members.
• Direct campaigns, in coordination with partner groups, to educate,
organize and involve community residents in planning and development
decisions in neighborhoods near transit.
• Oversee development, use, and management of GCC tools and infrastructure
to support community understanding of and engagement in planning and
development decisions (e.g. Great Communities Toolkit,
greatcommunities.org website and intranet).
• Manage the land use team’s work plan in coordination with over 20
• Prepare and manage a complex program budget, including contracts with
and sub-grants to multiple program partners.
• Organize and facilitate periodic meetings with partner groups and
• Support fundraising activities in collaboration with TransForm's
development staff: write grant proposals and reports.
• Direct media and online communications coordinated with TransForm’s
communications staff: design strategic media campaigns and write/edit
media and online materials.
• Coordinate with other TransForm programs to ensure consistent advocacy
positions and communications messages.
• Represent TransForm and the Great Communities Collaborative at
conferences, meetings, and with the media.
The Land Use Program Director will report to the Deputy Director, work
closely with partner organizations and staff, and work out of TransForm’s
Oakland office. This is a full-time exempt position with excellent
Given the breadth of TransForm's work on the Great Communities
Collaborative, the specific work plan will be tailored to fit the skills
and experience of the new Land Use Program Director.
• At least six years of related experience with a record of increasing
• Master’s degree in planning or other related field preferred and may be
considered to substitute for two years of required experience.
• Sophisticated understanding of and facility with issues involved in
planning and implementing successful transit oriented developments, such
as community benefits, parking policies, affordable housing, and local
• Demonstrated understanding of advocacy campaigns, including community
organizing, political analysis, and media.
• Familiarity with the Bay Area development context and with California
planning and redevelopment practices preferred.
• Experience preparing and managing complex work plans and budgets,
preferably including experience with accounting software or expert
knowledge of Excel.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and support staff members
while maintaining a strong team environment.
• Experience working with and building consensus among a range of
partners, such as community, policy, labor, and government.
• Experience with grant writing preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice and ability to
work effectively with individuals of varying ethnic and cultural
backgrounds, and education level.
• Excellent writing, group presentation, and meeting facilitation skills.
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt, salary
commensurate with experience and competitive with other non-profits.
Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time,
and an exciting team-oriented work environment. TransForm also administers
an employee contribution 403(b) retirement plan and participates in the
Commuter Check program.
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a short, descriptive cover letter, resume and
salary requirements to: TransForm, 436 14th Street, Suite #600, Oakland,
CA 94612 or email (AS ATTACHMENTS) to: LUPDjob@.... In your
cover letter, please describe how you are a good match for this job, with
particular focus on your interest and experience in land use planning,
community organizing/advocacy, program management, and personnel
management. This position will be open until filled. We expect to start
interviews the week of February 8.
Visit www.TransFormca.org for more information about TransForm.
TransForm is an equal opportunity employer.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]