Invitation to 1/27 Sustainability Matters Workshop: How Low Can We Go? The UN Summit on Climate Change & SJSU Ecological Footprint Challenge Update

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2010
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
      Dear Colleagues,

      I write to invite you to the fourth Sustainability Matters monthly
      lecture, sponsored by the Office of the President.

      How Low Can We Go? Updates on The UN Summit on Climate Change in
      Copenhagen
      & The SJSU Ecological Footprint Challenge

      Wednesday, January 27th 3:30-5:00pm
      Morris Dailey Auditorium, SJSU
      Organic Cookies, Milk and Coffee will be served.

      At this event you will learn what happened in Copenhagen in December at
      the United Nations summit on climate change, attended by over 110 world
      leaders, as well as how to connect this global issue to personal actions
      you take every day. All interested students, faculty, and staff are
      welcome to attend. This event will have two parts.

      1) An informational presentation on the the proceedings of the COP15
      summit in Copenhagen and its potential social, economic, and environmental
      impacts

      2) An update on the University-wide Ecological Footprint Challenge, where
      attendees will be provided with resources for reducing their personal
      ecological footprint

      Following the presentations, there will be an informal "meet and greet"
      mixer, allowing us to get to know our fellow SJSU Ecological Footprint
      Challenge participants and members of the SJSU Sustainability Team. There
      will also be resource tables on the specific footprint categories of
      transportation, home energy & water use, food, and good & services.

      Our presenters will be:

      Alex Gershenson (Principal and Founder, EcoShift Consulting & Lecturer,
      Environmental Studies)
      Eugene Cordero (Associate Professor, Meteorology)
      Anne Marie Todd (Associate Professor, Communication Studies)
      Katherine Cushing (Sustainability Director & Associate Professor,
      Environmental Studies)
      Matt Lambert (Graduate Student, Environmental Studies)

      Based on your involvement with campus sustainability we thought this event
      would be of particular interest to you. For this event, we would like to
      fill the auditorium, so please encourage all SJSU students, faculty, and
      staff you know to attend by passing this announcement along. We encourage
      you to use the PeopleSoft function on your class rosters to send an e-mail
      to your students letting them know about the event. Student attendance at
      our previous months' events has been good--many thanks for helping us get
      the word out.

      With warm regards,

      Katherine

      Katherine Kao Cushing, Ph.D.
      Special Assistant to the President and Director of Sustainability
      Office of the President
      San José State University
      One Washington Square
      San José, CA 95192-0002