Building Climate Friendly Communities Internship (unpaid): Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter

  • Hilary Nixon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2010
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
      The Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter

      Internship Announcement

      Community Outreach Intern
      (part-time, temporary, unpaid)

      The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate change
      through our Global Warming Campaign, and brings the slogan ?think global,
      act local? to life in the Silicon Valley Region. Building on our highly
      successful Cool Cities campaign, Building Climate-Friendly Communities
      focuses on reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use
      planning. We are part of a national effort to create vibrant neighborhoods
      and great communities through transit-oriented-development (TOD). Focused
      on the half-mile area surrounding a transit station, TODs are complete
      neighborhoods integrated with shops and services as well as a highly
      quality walking environment that allows for healthier and more active
      lifestyles. To learn more about our campaign, visit
      http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/bcfc.asp

      We are seeking three (3) motivated and creative individuals to support our
      Building Climate-Friendly Communities campaign. Community Outreach interns
      will work closely with staff?s efforts to foster support for smart growth
      through transit oriented development projects. Strong communication skills
      and a commitment to the Sierra Club's goals are a must. The internship
      time line is flexible, though we are looking for someone to work 8-12
      hours a week for 3-6 months.

      Key Responsibilities:
      o Management and expansion of the Chapter?s presence in online social
      networking websites, including Facebook and Twitter.
      o Providing support to volunteers and volunteer leaders to help promote
      smart growth initiatives.
      o Assistance with local house parties and regional trainings.
      o Representing Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign at local
      events.
      o Gathering data and creating issue-specific fact sheets related to local
      TOD efforts.
      o Support letter writing and phone banking campaigns to increase
      engagement of Chapter members and the general public.
      o Writing articles and op-eds in local media sources
      o Data entry and other administrative support.
      o Other tasks as assigned.

      The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment with highly
      motivated volunteers focused on making positive change in the world.

      To learn more about our campaign, visit
      http://lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/bcfc.asp

      Submit resume to megan.fluke@... by January 31, 2010

      3921 E. Bayshore Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303 ● 650.390.8411 Fax:
      650.390.8497 ● www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org
      Hilary Nixon, Ph.D.
      Department of Urban & Regional Planning
      San Jose State University