Funding Available for Ph.D. students at the University of Florida

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2009
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.

      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 12/11/2009 12:21 PM -----

      Funding Available for Ph.D. students at the University of Florida

      In an effort to expand our Ph.D. program, the Department of Urban and
      Regional Planning at the University of Florida provides funding for Ph.D.
      student that covers tuition, a stipend and health insurance benefits
      starting from Fall 2010. Initial Funding is for one academic year with a
      possibility of renewal pending satisfactory performance, required
      registration and funding availability. We are looking for graduate
      students interested in pursuing Ph.D. studies within the department’s five
      specializations: (1) Growth management and transportation, (2) Housing and
      community development, (3) Information technology for planning, (4) Urban
      design, and (5) Environment planning. The specific positions available
      are:

      One research assistantship in environmental planning. The student will
      work with Professor Kathryn Frank (kifrank@...).

      One research assistantship in either coordination of land use and
      transportation or in health in the built environment. The student will
      work with Professor Ruth Steiner (rsteiner@...).

      One research assistantship in information technology for planning. The
      student will work with Professor Ilir Bejleri (ilir@...).

      At least one research assistantship in urban economics, transportation
      economics, economic development or public finance. The students will work
      with Professor Andres Blanco (agblanco@...).

      One teaching assistantship is available for someone who can teach the
      undergraduate course “Cities of the World.” The student’s research
      interests could be in any of the five department’s specializations.

      Two or three scholarship/research assistantships are available in any of
      the five department’s specializations. The students will work with the
      appropriate professors in their areas of interest. If you are interested
      in learning more about one of these scholarships/assistantships, or the
      teaching assistantship, please contact our Graduate Coordinator Professor
      Richard Schneider (rschnei@...).

      We are looking for students who possess good analytic and communication
      (spoken and written) skills, experience with planning-related research and
      policy making, and are proficient with solid quantitative or qualitative
      methodology, and GIS.

      Interested students should apply to the Ph.D. Program online (
      http://www.dcp.ufl.edu/doctoral-program) and express interest in the
      specific graduate research assistantship with the appropriate professor.
      To be considered for funding, we need to receive completed applications by
      February 1, 2010.