FW: [lpsc-gwec] Chapter Job Listing: Building Climate-Friendly Communities Organizer [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2009
      From: julio.magalhaes@...
      Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:28:56 -0700
      Subject: [lpsc-gwec] Chapter Job Listing: Building Climate-Friendly Communities Organizer [1 Attachment]

      [Attachment(s) from Julio Magalhaes included below]

      Hello Chapter Global Warming
      Activists,

      I have attached and enclosed
      below a job announcement for a new position for an organizer of our Sierra Club
      Loma Prieta Chapter’s Building Climate-Friendly Communities Campaign. This
      position will allow our Cool Cities Campaign to expand and become part of a
      broader effort funded by the Silicon Valley Community Foundation to reduce vehicle
      miles traveled in our area―the largest single contributor to global warming
      emissions in our area.

      Please forward to anyone you
      think might be qualified and interested in applying for this position.

      Thanks,

      Julio

      Julio Magalhaes, Ph.D.

      Global Warming Program Coordinator

      Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter

      Palo Alto, CA

      Phone: 650-390-8441 / Fax: 650-390-8497

      E-mail: julio.magalhaes@...

      Web: lomaprietaglobalwarming.sierraclub.org

      The Sierra Club, Loma Prieta Chapter

      Job
      Announcement

      Grassroots Organizer for our Building Climate Friendly
      Communities Project

      Santa Clara , San Mateo and San Benito Counties

      (full-time,
      temporary, exempt)

      Loma Prieta Chapter

      The Loma Prieta Chapter is a leader in responding to climate
      change through our Global Warming Campaign, and brings the slogan “think
      global, act local” to life in the Silicon Valley Region. Building on our highly
      successful Cool Cities campaign, Building Climate Friendly Communities focuses
      on reducing greenhouse gas emissions through smart land use planning. We are
      part of a national effort to create vibrant neighborhoods and great communities
      through transit-oriented-development (TOD). TOD’s are complete neighborhoods,
      or have plans to become a complete neighborhood. Focused on the half-mile area
      surrounding a transit station, TODs are integrated with shops and services as
      well as a highly quality walking environment that allows for healthier and more
      active lifestyles.

      We are seeking an experienced community organizer to lead our
      Building Climate Friendly Communities campaign to the next level. The organizer
      will work closely with existing Cool City teams and Chapter conservation issue
      committees, build new teams in priority cities, and coordinate with community
      members and groups to create strong support for smart growth through transit
      oriented development projects. As part of a regional coalition of organizations
      focused on smart growth, housing, transit and open space policy the organizer
      will ensure the Sierra Club’s significant contribution to developing
      sustainable land use decision making at the local level.

      The Sierra Club offers a friendly, fast-paced work environment
      with highly motivated volunteers focused on making positive change in the
      world. We plan for this to be a multi-year project, however at this time we
      only have guaranteed funding for one year. Funding for additional years is a
      top chapter priority.

      To learn more about our global warming campaign visit http://lomaprietaglobalwarming.sierraclub.org/index.php

      Key Responsibilities:

      ・ Working
      with volunteer leaders and other interest groups to identify, recruit, and
      organize volunteers.

      ・ Training
      volunteers and volunteer leaders to help promote smart growth initiatives.

      ・ Making
      presentations to community, political, and governmental bodies regarding
      Chapter conservation efforts.

      ・ Writing
      press releases, newsletters, flyers, etc. to keep the Club membership and the
      general public informed.

      ・ Conducting
      surveys, investigations, and research needed to achieve the objectives of our
      conservation program.

      ・ Working
      on task forces, committees, etc. representing the Club's objective or mission.

      ・ Working
      closely with media representatives to ensure that the Club’s message is
      accurately presented by the media.

      Qualifications

      ・ BA/BS
      degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.

      ・ 1-2
      years experience in the environmental field that includes research and
      organizing campaigns, press relations and public speaking.

      ・ Excellent
      written and oral communication skills.

      ・ Proficient
      computer skills

      ・ Demonstrated
      ability and effectiveness working with volunteers

      ・ A
      self-starter who will pay attention to the details

      Compensation

      Salary is commensurate with experience. Compensation includes
      health and dental insurance, plus generous vacation time.

      How to
      Apply: Please
      send a resumè, cover letter
      and three references to Mindy.Hill@...