Internships - San Francisco County Transportation Authority - Policy and Programming Internships

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2009
      Please conserve: Think before you print this email.
      [From http://www.sfcta.org/content/view/619/348/ -- note that web page
      includes some links that don't show up here]

      INTERNSHIPS

      THE AUTHORITY IS NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR INTERNSHIPS IN THE
      FOLLOWING DIVISIONS:

      Policy and Programming

      To those who have applied for internships in the Planning, Finance &
      Administration, and Technology Services Divisions: Thank you for your time
      and interest! We have completed our interview process and at this time we
      are only looking for candidates for Internships in the Planning Division
      and Policy & Programming Division. Please watch this space for any
      updates.

      Thank you!

      Join the team of an innovative and dynamic transportation agency! The San
      Francisco County Transportation Authority has graduate intern positions
      for students who are self-motivated, detail-oriented, and excited about
      making a meaningful contribution to San Francisco's transportation system.

      Transportation Authority staff are an energetic and experienced group of
      planners and engineers working in partnership with local and regional
      agencies (e.g., Muni, MTC, etc.) to implement, fund and evaluate a wide
      variety of projects and policies. We also develop and operate an
      activity-based travel demand model for a wide range of uses, including
      demand forecasting and policy scenario testing.

      Due to the size of our agency and our dedication to learning from each
      other, interns will have the opportunity to interact with professionals at
      all levels within the Authority, from your peers to the senior managers.
      Authority staff will work with each intern to develop a program that is
      tailored to his/her individual strengths and interests, as well as the
      current needs of our teams.

      Internships are paid and can be combined with general research
      opportunities or research towards a thesis. Past interns have
      participated in a variety of projects, including:

      - refining San Francisco's activity-based travel demand model
      - developing strategic analysis reports on key transportation policy
      questions
      - collecting and analyzing data for the Geary and Van Ness bus rapid
      transit studies
      - conducting studies (e.g., parking, pedestrian LOS, transit reliability)
      for neighborhood transportation plans
      - mapping data and projects in the 5-Year Prioritization Programs
      - and much more...

      Policy & Programming Internships

      Key Details:

      Employee Type: Intern/Temporary Employee
      Reports to: Policy & Programming:Deputy Director for Policy & Programming

      Availability: Interns should be available to work at least 16 hours per
      week during regular business hours, for at least a 12 week period of time.
      (Full time is also possible).
      Minimum Qualifications:

      Strong interest in urban transportation planning is required. Proficiency
      with Microsoft Word and Excel is required. Proficiency with ArcGIS,
      database management, statistical analysis and/or web page design is
      desired.
      Skills and Abilities:

      Standard transportation planning principles, methods and processes; basic
      research methods, survey design, and database management techniques;
      ability to interpret data using appropriate planning methods and
      statistical techniques; familiarity with land use planning methods; strong
      written and oral skills; ability to prepare and present written reports
      and recommendations.

      Special skills for each group vary. Familiarity with travel demand
      modeling or GIS, project funding, or civil engineering are preferred for
      the Technology, Programming or Capital Projects groups respectively.

      Training and Experience:

      Prospective graduate interns should have completed at least one semester
      in a relevant graduate level discipline (e.g. transportation planning,
      urban planning, civil engineering).
      Compensation Range: $20 - $25 / Hour, D.O.E.
      Interested persons should send a cover letter and resume via email to
      jobs@... or via fax to 415.522.4829.

      Please indicate which division you are applying for an internship with
      (ie: Policy & Programming.)
      We look forward to hearing from you!

      Sorry, but we are unable to provide Visa sponsorship for internship
      positions.