PT job - San Jose - Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition - Community Outreach Coordinator
- Please conserve: Think before you print this e-mail.
[From http://bikesiliconvalley.org/about/opportunities ]
Community Outreach Coordinator
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition (SVBC) is a small educational and
advocacy nonprofit organization operating primarily in San Mateo and Santa
Clara Counties, with the mission to promote bicycling as a mode of
transportation and for recreation.
SVBC is looking to hire someone to help with community engagement,
advocacy, and outreach experience to work on various projects. An
immediate priority will be working on the Diridon Station Area Planning
process in San Jose. Work duties will occur in a variety of
environments—the SVBC office, at home, and in the community. This dynamic
working environment will provide very fulfilling work for the appropriate
* Coordinating committees, volunteers and interns focused on ongoing
* Attend public meetings to track various projects and speak on key
* Host public workshops
* Meet with city staff and elected officials
* Outreach to communities potentially including tabling, canvassing
neighborhoods, and speaking to neighborhood groups
* Creating outreach documents, chronicling activities for both
publishing and internal reports, write or coordinate articles for website
and newsletter on a weekly basis
* Represent the organization in a professional manner
* Help to create an organizational culture that values fun and gives
people the opportunity to connect around cycling.
* Other projects as assigned: As this is a small nonprofit
environment, staff members all take on various projects at times that are
not necessarily part of their primary role.
Desired Qualities, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* 2 years relevant experience with advocacy and public outreach,
and/or BS or BA degree
* Comfortable and confident with public speaking
* Passion for bicycling, urban planning, and smart growth
* Team player, enjoys collaboration, but also able to work
* Organized, professional, efficient, punctual, and reliable
* Solid understanding of a variety of software programs, including MS
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Fairly flexible schedule, need to be available evenings and some
Further position information
The position will report to the Executive Director of the Silicon Valley
Bicycle Coalition. The coordinator will be expected to come into the SVBC
office in San Jose a minimum of several times a week to meet with the
Executive Director and other staff people.
Much of the work will be attending public meetings on behalf of the
organization, and taking part in running committees focused on specific
advocacy issues or outreach projects. The location of these meetings will
be on the peninsula stretching from South San Francisco to San Jose.
Evening availability is essential, but work will not be required every
evening. Beyond office time and meetings, the coordinator will have the
flexibility to do some work at home if preferred. A personal notebook
computer is required.
The coordinator will be required to represent the organization’s point of
view, and manage volunteers to do the same.
Approximately 30 hours per week.
This position is open until filled. The right candidate will begin ASAP.
To apply, please email your resume to jobs@....
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]