Unpaid Internship - San Jose - Diridon Station Area Plan
- Greenbelt Alliance and Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, as part of the Great Communities Collaborative, have partnered to shape plans regarding San Jose Diridon Station, for which the City of San Jose recently received a planning grant.
The City of San Joseâs Diridon Transit Station has the potential to become a world-class hub of activity and ideas, one that celebrates San Joseâs diverse population, stimulates the local economy, and promotes environmental sustainability.
Specific internship activities to include:
- Assisting to host public workshops
- Outreach to communities impacted by the plan, potentially including tabling, canvassing neighborhoods, and speaking to neighborhood groups
- Help coordinate a committee of involved citizens
- Attend public meetings to track the cityâs progress and speaking on key issues
- Passion for urban planning and smart growth
- Interest in the SJ Diridon area
- Team player, enjoys collaboration
- Organized, punctual, and reliable
- Fairly flexible schedule, need to be available some evenings and weekends
Benefits for the intern:
- Work on an actual planning process
- Network with local city officials and nonprofit advocacy groups from across the region
- Gain experience conducting public outreach
- Optimally, the candidate will stick with us through the duration of the planning process, but at least until internship hours are completed. Depending on the internâs schedule, the expected duration is 6 to 12 months.
The intern will work with the Executive Director of the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition and the South Bay Senior Field Representative of Greenbelt Alliance.
About the involved organizations:
The Great Communities Collaborative is a unique cooperative relationship between four Bay Area nonprofit organizationsâ"Greenbelt Alliance, the Nonprofit Housing Association of Northern California, TransForm and Urban Habitatâ"and the national nonprofit Reconnecting America. Three foundations are also part of the collaborative.
The Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition has worked since the late 1970s to promote the bicycle for everyday transportation and recreation in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.
Greenbelt Alliance has worked since 1958 to protect open space and promote livable communities throughout the nine-county Bay Area.
Please email Corinne Winter, Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition, at Corinne@... with your course and job history if you are interested.