SPUR Citizen Planning Institute 5-part series on climate change (starts July 9)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      [See http://www.spur.org/events/calendar ]

      SPUR Citizen Planning Institute 5-part series on climate change starts on
      July 9

      Urbanism: The Convenient Solution to the Problem of Climate Change; July
      9, 16, 23, 30 and August 6 from 4-6 p.m.; $100 for the series, $25 for
      each session; Write classes@... to register

      As individuals, institutions and governments struggle with the
      implications of global warming and climate change, we are faced with a
      dizzying array of possible actions. In this first series of educational
      programs at the SPUR Urban Center, we will look at what we can do at the
      community level to reduce CO2 emissions, focusing on greener buildings,
      smarter land use, more efficient transportation and market responses.

      July 9: SB 375 and Sustainable Community Strategies

      July 16: Mobility, Accessibility and Sustainability: How we Get Around and
      How Space is Configured for Movement

      July 23: Growing Smarter: Land Use, Urban Design and Green Buildings

      July 30: Challenges to Placemaking

      August 6: The Role of Local Government in Low-Carbon Development

      Coordinated by Jeff Tumlin of Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates,
      Stephanie Reyes, policy director at Greenbelt Alliance, and Jim Chappell,
      director of the Citizen Planning Institute at SPUR. Space is limited;
      contact classes@... to register today!