Lecture: Silicon Valley & our regional economy (San Francsico, 7/2, 12:30 p.m.)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      [For details, see http://www.spur.org/events/calendar ]

      LUNCHTIME FORUM: Silicon Valley & our regional economy

      Thursday, July 2, 12:30-1:30 p.m.

      Unique among U.S. cities, the key economic driver of San Francisco and the
      Bay Area developed not in its urban center but in the agricultural
      countryside to the south. Yet as Silicon Valley has evolved from the land
      of innovative start-ups to become home to the largest and most established
      business headquarters in the region, less clear is where the Silicon
      Valley economy begins and ends - and what its long-term prospects will be
      for the entire Bay Area. Two leading economists - Russ Hancock, CEO and
      president of Joint Venture: Silicon Valley, and Ted Egan, chief economist
      for the City and County of San Francisco - discuss whether the Silicon
      Valley economy is becoming the Bay Area economy.

      ________

      About SPUR's Agents of Change summer programming series:

      Our summer programming series continues this week with presentations on
      Hetch Hetchy, rebuilding Chinatown and good government reform. Join us for
      these thought-provoking forums, where leading thinkers and practitioners
      in city planning, governance, architecture and urban design will relate
      the past successes and failures of each generation to our own efforts to
      forge new movements in citymaking.

      All programs are free for SPUR members,$5 for non-members.