Paid internship - San Francisco - Bay Area LISC - Green Jobs & Neighborhood Planning

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2009
      INTERN ANNOUNCEMENT

      Green Jobs & Neighborhood Planning Summer Intern

      LOCAL INITIATIVES SUPPORT CORPORATION (LISC), BAY AREA OFFICE

      Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) is seeking a full-time Green
      Jobs & Neighborhood Planning
      Summer Intern to support our green jobs and neighborhood planning
      initiative in the Bay Area.

      ABOUT LISC

      Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) is a national nonprofit
      501(c) (3) organization with a local
      focus, which is represented by thirty-two field offices across the
      country. Since 1981, Bay Area LISC has
      partnered with community development organizations to transform distressed
      communities and
      neighborhoods into healthy ones ? good places to live, do business, work,
      and raise families. We have
      built the field of affordable housing by providing nonprofit community
      developers with the skills,
      information, and financial support they need to be effective agents of
      change. Bay Area LISC has broadbased
      expertise in affordable housing, community economic development,
      commercial revitalization,
      organizational development, energy efficiency and green development.
      Our newest Neighborhoods Excelling Together, or NEXT initiative,
      integrates ?green neighborhood
      planning? concepts into community development. Bay Area LISC?s Green
      Connection program is
      working to support green collar jobs and workforce development, green
      affordable housing rehabilitation
      and development, equitable access to healthy foods and open spaces, as
      well as deeper civic engagement
      for our targeted low-income communities in the Bay Area. Our pilot
      programs are beginning in the
      neighborhoods of Nystrom in Richmond, in Excelsior and Chinatown in San
      Francisco, and in Lower San
      Antonio in Oakland.

      For more information about national LISC and Bay Area LISC visit our
      websites at www.liscnet.org and
      www.bayarealisc.org.

      RESPONSIBILITIES

      The Green Jobs & Neighborhood Planning Summer Intern will support Bay Area
      LISC?s efforts to
      advance our new "green neighborhood planning" initiative. Specifically,
      the intern will map green jobs
      and neighborhood planning stakeholders and resources throughout the Bay
      Area, with particular attention
      in the City of Richmond. The intern will evaluate the linkages and/or gaps
      in the system that supports
      green job development and training in Richmond. The intern will assist in
      the development of a
      ?Grassroots Guide to Green Neighborhoods,? a community-led green
      neighborhood toolkit for local
      residents, community groups, and neighborhood leaders in the Bay Area.
      This guide will present green
      jobs and neighborhood planning stakeholders and resources, case studies,
      and lessons learned for the Bay
      Area, with the intention that this guide may later be used as replicable
      green jobs and neighborhood
      planning model for other regions. The Intern will report directly to the
      Green Connection Assistant
      Program Officer, with the oversight and support of the Director of
      Neighborhood Development &
      Communications.

      QUALIFICATIONS

      ? A Master?s degree candidate in urban planning, economics, public policy,
      sustainable development or
      a related field.
      ? Experience in workforce, community development, affordable housing,
      green building, and/or
      economic development is preferred.
      Minimum experience and skills include the following:
      ? Strong interest in green neighborhood planning and workforce
      development.
      ? Demonstrated ability to work professionally and productively with
      individuals and communities of
      diverse racial, ethnic, economic, social and educational backgrounds.
      ? Strong interest in programs to assist lower-income households and
      communities.
      ? Strong interpersonal communication skills.
      ? Computer skills; word processing and spreadsheet capabilities are
      essential;
      ? Strong personal initiative and organizational skills.
      ? Ability to work independently.
      Preferred skills and experience include:
      ? Familiarity with green neighborhood planning and workforce development
      stakeholders and resources in
      the Bay Area.
      ? Experience working in our targeted communities.

      COMPENSATION

      LISC offers a competitive stipend.

      APPLY TO

      Qualified applicants should submit a resume and brief cover letter
      describing their interest in the position.

      Search: Green Jobs & Neighborhood Planning Intern
      Bay Area LISC
      369 Pine Street, Suite 350
      San Francisco, CA 94104
      Email: BALISC@...

      DEADLINE: Position available immediately and open until filled.

      LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER