Smart Cycling Conference - San Jose, June 18-20

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      [From http://www.bikeleague.org/conferences/smartcycling09/index.php/.
      Registration at https://www.bikeleague.org/cogs/bikeed/signup%5d

      Smart Cycling Conference 2009 Setting New Directions
      June 18-20, 2009, San Jose, Calif.

      Register today!
      The Smart Cycling Agenda has been announced!

      The bi-annual League Education conference is ramping up, and it is
      destined to be a great one. The League?s education program is in the
      middle of a complete overhaul. Since 2008, we?ve launched Traffic Skills
      101, Traffic Skills 201, Group Riding, and completely revised our Commuter
      Student curriculum. What?s left? Everything! Our kids manuals need to be
      redone, and our entire League Cycling Instructor Curriculum has to be
      overhauled. And we need your help!

      Smart Cycling Agenda

      Thursday, June 18, 2009
      4 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Registration
      7 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. - Opening Reception & Keynote Address

      Friday, June 19, 2009
      7 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. - Local Bicycle Rides
      8.a.m. - 4 p.m. - Registration
      8 a..m. - 9 a.m. Continental Breakfast
      9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Opening Plenary: Keynote Address: The Future of the
      Smart Cycling Program - Andy Clarke, President, League of American
      10:30 a.m.-10:45 a.m. - Morning Break

      Breakout Sessions 1 (10:45 a.m. - 12 p.m.)
      1. What Goes On in San Jose: An overview of the local education programs.
      -John Brazil, City of San Jose, Calif.
      -Herman Wadler, Almaden Cycle Touring Club

      2. Encouraging Kids: Teaching kids to ride.
      -Chris Daigle, Eagle Wheel Cycling School
      -Owen Howlett, Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates

      3. Teaching Techniques: How do you teach and teach well? What are some
      good techniques to help you get started?
      -Rich Conroy, Bike New York
      -Claudia Nix, Liberty Bicycles

      12 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. - Lunch

      Breakout Sessions 2 (1:30 p.m. -3:00 p.m.)
      1. Non Motorized Pilot Program: Education and evaluation is part of the
      pilot programs; we?ll find out what?s been done and what has happened.
      -Steve Clark, Transit for Livable Communities
      -Craig Tackabery, Marin County

      2. Local Government: How do you sensitize transportation professionals to
      the real needs of cyclists?
      -Tom Grover, Albuquerque Police Department

      3. Marketing 101: Selling your classes and services effectively
      -Chuck Ayers, Cascade Bicycle Club

      3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. - Afternoon Break

      Breakout Sessions 3 (3:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.)
      1. New Media, New Materials (salon): What new approaches are LCIs using
      through new media?
      -Dan Raine, City of Houston

      2. Safe Routes to School: SRTS programs are sources of money and
      customers. This session will explore the best SRTS programs, and how bike
      education is delivered as part of SRTS
      -Donna Lewandowski, Pima Country Department of Transportation
      -Mitch Trujillo, International Police Mountain Biking Association

      3. ON BIKE: Parking Lot Drills
      -Preston Tyree, League of American Bicyclists
      SATURDAY, June 20, 2009
      7 a.m. ? 8:30 a.m. - Local Bicycle Rides
      8 a.m. ? 9 a.m. - Continental Breakfast

      Breakout Sessions 4 (9:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.)
      1. Raising Money: Where can you get funding for Smart Cycling and how do
      you pitch it to funders?
      -Katie McBride, Kentucky Bicycle and Bikeways Commission

      2. Group/Charity Rides Audience: How do we effectively reach the tens of
      thousands of group/charity riders; what do we teach them; and what are the
      mechanics of a successful program.
      -Regina Garcia, League Cycling Instructor
      -John Siemiatkoski, Mass Bike
      -Liz Bernstein, National Multiple Sclerosis Society

      3. Dumbing Down Smart Cycling? (salon): Best two-minute, five-minute, one
      hour version of Traffic Cycling 101
      -Open Session

      10:30 p.m. - 10:45 p.m. - Morning Break

      Breakout Sessions 5 (10:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.)
      1. Institutional Change: Is riding as part of your work day? What
      education do you need to stay safe and avoid liability issues?
      -Jennifer Paedon, Lockheed martin Space Systems

      2. Shops: How to work with shops to deliver bike education; several models
      will be presented
      -Mike Nix, Liberty Bicycles
      -Buzz Feldman, High Gear Cyclery

      3. Reaching Lots of People: How do you take bike education to a huge
      -Chuck Ayers, Cascade Bicycle Club
      -Neal Patel, San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

      12:00 p.m. ? 1:30 p.m. Lunch & Afternoon Keynote (speaker TBA)

      Breakout Sessions 6 (1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
      1. Managing Your Resources: How do you make a living teaching Smart
      Cycling? Several models will be shown
      -Chris Daigle, Eagle Wheels Cycling School
      -John Waterman,

      2. Motorist education and enforcement: Reaching motorists through
      diversion courses, fleet drivers, and drivers ed.
      -Preston Tyree, League of American Bicyclists
      -Neal Patel, San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

      3. ON BIKE: Group Riding Drills

      3 p.m. ?3:15 p.m. - Afternoon Break
      3:15 p.m. ? 5 p.m. - Closing: Where do we go from here?
      5:15 p.m. ? 7 p.m. - Local Bicycle Rides and Networking Meetings

      *Information is always subject to change.

      The Smart Cycling Conference is a great opportunity to network with and
      learn from your peers and to brush up on your teaching techniques. The
      program includes informative workshops on sharing best practices,
      improving the marketing and appeal of Smart Cycling, reaching diverse
      audiences, and reaching educators in your community.

      Come to San Jose this summer to talk about the best way to teach cyclists;
      to help the League continue to improve our curricula; and to hear news and
      updates from the foremost cycling educators in the world.

      Click https://www.bikeleague.org/cogs/bikeed/signup to register.