re: Support Our House Youth Shelter

  • Sean Charpentier
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2003
      re: Support Our House Youth Shelter

      Dear SJSU Planning Students:

      Please come to the San Jose City Planning Commission meeting tonight to support the Our House youth shelter and to see a snapshot of all the issues involved in urban development.

      Planning Students should support the Our House Emergency Youth Shelter because it provides needed shelter and services to one of the most vulnerable populations in society.

      Our House operated for 9 years on South 5th Street until it was displaced by the new City Hall project.   Tonight, the Planning Commission will consider the rezoning for a permanent relocation site on South Third and William Streets.

      The Planning Commission meeting is at 6pm at 801 North First Street.

        Visit the Our House website <http://www.homelessness.org/Our_House/index.html> for:

          ·       Planning Commission and City Council meeting information.
          ·       A direct email link to the San Jose City Council.
          ·       Speaking points.
          ·       A sample letter of support.
          ·       A Fact Sheet.
          ·       Press clippings about Our House.

      The Our House project provides a snapshop of the complexity of urban development because it includes forced displacement, infill development, historic preservation, and rather vociferous community opposition.

      Planning Students will find the Planning Commission meeting interesting because it will provide textbook case of local opposition to a project.  All planners (land use, transportation, housing, and parks) must work with the community and advance projects that will be opposed by somebody (usually the adjacent residents).

      Given that this is an academic mailing list, and that I am feeling strangely charitable towards our opposition, you may access the opposition's case at a website at the bottom of this email.

      Please show up and support Our House.

      Sean Charpentier
      Project Manager
      Emergency Housing Consortium