FW: New report: "The Climate Gap"

  • Christopher Lepe
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2009

      From: Rachel Morello Frosch, Manuel Pastor, and Jim Sadd [mailto:pere@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:47 AM
      To: jagnello@...
      Subject: New report: “The Climate Gap”

      We are pleased to announce the release of our latest report:

      The Climate Gap:
      Inequalities in How Climate Change Hurts Americans & How to Close the Gap

      By now, virtually all Americans concur that climate change is real, and could pose devastating consequences for our nation and our children.  Equally real is the "Climate Gap" -- the sometimes hidden and often unequal impact climate change will have on people of color and the poor in the United States .

      This report helps to document the Climate Gap, connecting the dots between research on heat waves, air quality, and other challenges associated with climate change. But we do more than point out an urgent problem; we also explore how we might best combine efforts to both solve climate change and close the Climate Gap -- including an appendix focused on California?s global warming policy and a special accompanying analysis of the federal-level American Clean Energy Security Act.

      Most of all, we stress that addressing the climate gap is an issue of importance for all Americans.  Properly maintaining the levees would have shielded the Lower Ninth Ward and would have saved all of New Orleans from the destruction of Hurricane Katrina. In like fashion, by choosing policies that shield against the very real dangers facing poor neighborhoods and people of color, we will make climate policy more effective for all of us.

      To view the executive summary, full report and our analysis on the American Clean Energy Security Act, please go to:  http://college.usc.edu/geography/ESPE/perepub.html

      Sincerely,

      Rachel Morello-Frosch
      Manuel Pastor
      Jim Sadd

      Program for Environmental and Regional Equity (PERE)
      Center for Sustainable Cities
      University of Southern California

      Mailing Address: 3620 S. Vermont Avenue, KAP 462
      Los Angeles , CA 90089-0255

      Physical Address: 950 W. Jefferson Blvd. , JEF 102
      Los Angeles , CA 90089

      Phone: 213.821.1325
      Fax: 213.740.5680
      http://college.usc.edu/geography/ESPE/pere.html