Resource Assistance for Rural Environments Program

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 12, 2009
      Hello Professors,

      I am writing from the Resource Assistance for Rural Environments (RARE)
      Program, based in the University of Oregon's Community Service Center and
      affiliated with the Planning, Public Policy and Management (PPPM)
      Department. Please bring this opportunity to the attention of interested
      students and recent graduates of your program.

      Each year RARE places 20 to 25 participants in rural communities across
      Oregon to work for 11 months on community building projects with local
      host organizations. Participants assist in the development and
      implementation of projects relating to community and economic development,
      watershed and natural resource planning, policy coordination, and delivery
      of social services.

      RARE participants receive extensive training, a living stipend of $1,500
      per month, medical and dental insurance, an educational award that can be
      used toward future schooling or to help pay off existing loans, and
      graduate level planning credits at UO. Participants also gain tremendous
      field-based experience to complement their classroom learning while
      helping to develop capacity in small, under-served communities. RARE has
      made more than 350 placements since its founding in 1994 and is always
      looking for participants with a variety of backgrounds.

      I hope you can forward this information and/or the attached announcement
      to any students, various departmental listserves and anyone interested in
      a RARE experience.

      For more information, potential RARE participants should contact me or
      view our website at http://rare/uoregon.edu.

      Thank you,

      Amie Collins
      Field Coordinator, RARE Program