Sierra Club Cool Cities Climate Activist Workshop in Menlo Park on Mar. 14- Save the Date!

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2009
      ----- Forwarded by Asha Agrawal/SJSU on 02/12/2009 01:40 PM -----

      Dear Friend,

      Help create the next major wave of climate protection action in the
      Silicon Valley Region by attending our next climate activist workshop on
      March 14. The Cool Cities Campaign continues to ramp up its work with
      cities and counties in our region by advocating for climate-friendly
      development and building policies. Take the next step by joining us on
      March 14.

      We are partnering with Greenbelt Alliance, Planning and Conservation
      League, and others to offer this training on specific principles and
      language which can be included in city and county general plan updates so
      that greenhouse gas emission impacts are assessed and mitigated. This
      training will also review model green building ordinances and how to be an
      effective advocate for such policies. Please be part of this next major
      training event for local climate activists.

      When: Saturday, March 14, 2009, 9:00am - 12:00pm (doors open at 8:30am)
      Where: Menlo Park City Council Chambers
      Title: "Building Climate-Friendly Communities: General Plans & Green
      Building Ordinances"

      Click here to RSVP >>

      General plans and green building policies have a huge impact on how much
      we drive and how much energy our buildings use. Together, these two
      factors add up to 70% of our carbon dioxide emissions. There is a better
      way. By designing communities so people can walk, bike, or ride transit
      rather than drive, and by requiring energy efficiency and clean renewable
      power in new homes and office buildings from the start, we can not only
      reduce greenhouse gas emissions but also reduce commute times and stress
      and create healthier neighborhoods.

      Please join us at next month's Building Climate-Friendly Communities
      workshop to learn specifics that you can use to incorporate sustainability
      into your city's general planning process and help implement green
      building regulations in Palo Alto. This is also a great chance to connect
      with other climate activists from around the South-Bay area.

      Click here to RSVP >>

      I hope you can join us on March 14 to help take the next major step toward
      reducing the carbon footprint of our region. Thanks for everything you're
      doing to help build a climate-friendly South-Bay and Silicon Valley
      region!

      Sincerely,

      Margie and the rest of the Cool Cities Core Team (Gary, Chris, Anne, and
      Julio)

      P.S. We're also looking for volunteers to help with logistics on the day
      of or a few days before the Building Climate-Friendly Communities event.
      If you're interested, please contact Julio at
      Julio.magalhaes@... or 650-390-8441.